Sunday, November 7, 2010

The First Post On My Blog.

A yearly ritual has developed in our house.

In late September or early October, the temperature starts creeping down toward zero, and it occurs to me that the boys need an extra blanket on their beds. That's when I remember that the blankets they used the previous winter were long ago sent off to the municipal dump and now I need to buy new ones.

Most years I've settled for some polyester monstrosity adorned with twee kittens or whatever I can find at Sears.ca, but this year I decided to break with tradition. I decided to buy blankets that would last more than a single season, and aren't made from recycled pop bottles and cost more than $20.

Last week we took delivery of our custom-ordered blankets from MacAusland's Woolen Mills in PEI. They are lovely. I'm not very fluent in the secret language of wool blankets (twill? felted? napped?), I just know these are not as heavy, nor as itchy as our Hudson Bay blanket, but they are just as warm.

Here's the forest green one selected by our 8 yo:


6 yo chose a purple one:


Finally. A purple blanket. He's been asking for purple bedding (because evidently the garish orange on the walls weren't stimulating enough) for years. But do you have any idea how hard it is to find purple bedding that is not trimmed with pink, adorned with unicorns or festooned with Hannah Montana's face? Answer: damn frikkin' hard.

When I called in the order, I impulsively ordered a lap blanket for myself:


Isn't she pretty? I call her Woolhelmina. She's soft. She's cosy. She's having an affair with my husband. Or at least that is what I deduce from the fact that he keeps falling asleep with her.

And so I have ordered another lap blanket it for him. He will be called Woolbur. He arrives next week.

(And yes, those are my feet peaking out from the end. Yes, I'm wearing Birkenstocks. No, I'm not a lesbian. Yes, they do feature heavily in my always classic impersonation of Natalie Merchant from 10,000 Maniacs).

8 comments:

  1. Welcome to your new home! I'm glad you guys are all comfy cozy. I'm planning to do orange walls in my son's room too; I think it'll make him more hyper than he already is.

    And, I once had a really pair of big thick chocolate brown mary janes that I loved. I had a sales rep ask me if they were comfortable. I said, "YES! Soooo comfortable". She asked again, "But, are they COMFORTABLE shoes?" I had no idea what she was getting at, so I repeated, "yeeeesssss. . . "

    Turns out, she was asking me if I was wearing comfortable, aka "lesbian" shoes. To which I say, "why should lesbians be the only ones with comfy feet?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of a good, comfy shoe. And have been known to walk around the house with my crocs and socks on. Which is seeexxxxyyy. :-) Welcome to your new blog home, must also be becoming an annual tradition, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since we're outting ourselves, my husband bought me a pair of Crocs styled like Mary Janes so I could have some throw away shoes for wading in the mountains.

    They're bright red. They're made out of your old blankets that were made out of old pop bottles.

    I wear them around the house constantly. I'm so lazy I can't even be bothered putting on socks or tying laces.

    I'm excited about your new blog (especially if that's a Star Trek II ref), maybe I'll get my ass in gear & get mine fixed.

    A wool blanket from the Pendleton Woolen Mills (our local woolery) is on my Christmas list. Something orangish to go with the huge burnt orange stripe I painted on one wall when I got sick of all the gray paint my husband picked out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! 2 things: Your header hadn't loaded when I read the post & started typing. Duh @ the reference.

    Secondly, I think I just dropped the 1st swear word on your blog. Sorry 'bout that. NO TAKE BACKS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For fuck's sake, Eryn, I wanted to be the first one to swear on my blog!

    I guess I'll have to be happy that I'm the first person to f-bomb my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Jake's favourite colour is purple, and damn it is difficult to find purple things that are not deemed too girly. By him. Because I don't care. He could dress up like Daphne for all I care *no he can't*

    Nice new blog. If you watch Modern Family, the lesbian/shoe comment reminded me of a recent episode. "I always thought she was a lesbian! Look at her SHOES". Anyway. I am not one to talk as I wear gigantic fluffy maroon slippers in the house all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get styled a lesbian as I am followed by two small children, conspicuously drop my husband's name frequently, and am usually QUITE girly, in spite of the constant outfit of jeans and various t-shirt/sweater combos.

    HOWEVER, I have Birkenstocks for every eventuality. Two types of sandals for summer and fall, two pairs of clogs for winter (one that is so beaten up I don't mind getting them soaked in snow). My husband (see how I do that?) gets a bit sad when I wear nothing but sneaks or Birks, but hey.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Late to the party, but welcome anyway! You know I live in my Crocs in the house (with socks) I have sexy house lesbian look in spades.

    ReplyDelete