Thursday, November 11, 2010

In Flanders Fields.


In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
-Lt. Colonel John McCrae 
1915


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Our latest zip.ca disk is the first two episodes of Band of Brothers. So fitting that we're watching it on Remembrance Day. I'm thinking of all the men and women who died so I could sit here in comfort and say to my husband, "Who do you think is gonna die: Carrie Bradshaw's Post-It-Note-Loving boyfriend from Sex and the City, or the ginger-haired cop from Life?



But please don't tell me how the series ends -- I want to be surprised. Though of course I have pretty good inkling how D-Day plays out [Here's a hint: I'm not speaking German].

5 comments:

  1. There's a paper poppy tied to the zipper on my coat right now. Beautiful tribute.

    What do I call you now? Is Nan okay? I was going to say beautiful tribute, _ _ _ _ . Don't really want to call you wrath. Or WOM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never did get a poppy this year. Which is strange since most years I buy them daily.

    Just altered my 'author' tag to show Nan. Hadn't noticed I had the blog title as my alias. Thanks, Not-In-Omaha-Anymore Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to start wearing a poppy! Will I get in trouble for that?

    Band of Brothers is one of my favorite epic mini-series. The documentary interviews with the real guys is the best bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. If you want to see the ginger-haired boy in another period piece, check out The Forsyte Saga. (He isn't a nice man in it, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hubby loved, loved Band of Brothers...I can handle war shows for a bit then I kind of reach my threshold. The girls got lovely poppy pins from school this year.

    ReplyDelete