Monday, November 8, 2010

Knowing You, Knowing MeMe.

I saw this Knowing You, Knowing Me meme at Nicole's blog, and couldn't resist:

1) What's on your Christmas Wish List?

A purse-type shoulder bag. A water-proof, bomb-proof shoulder bag. I'm a bit of a purse addict, and I'd like a messenger style bag for all my gear.

The boys will get more Star Wars things. Honestly, I don't know why we don't just write a cheque directly to George Lucas and be done with it all. Husband wants a new hammock to replace the one he bought 15 years ago while backpacking through Central America. This present will work out well, we're spending Christmas in Mexico and will pick one up while there.

Ultimately what we get and give (we're going with 12 other members of my husband's family) will be determined by the confines of our suitcases.

2) Do you have a handheld video game in your house?

Do iPods count? We have an iPod touch, that I use to play Scrabble.  The boys use it infrequently to play a Phineas & Ferb surfing game.

My theory is that they can't have handheld video games until they are completely literate. I want to indoctrinate them into the mind set that books should be your go-to portable entertainment source. Until then, there are no Nintendo doomahickies in our house.

3) Are you participating in the 25 Days of Christmas challenge?

Nope, never heard of it. I did follow the link from Nicole's blog, and I'm pretty that the only people who are committing themselves to "twenty five days of organized, customized fun" for their kids are scary Martha Stewart types.

Instead I will commit myself to spending December organizing and customizing our packing lists.

4) What is your favourite kind of cookie?

Store bought? Hobnobs.

Homemade? Soft Ginger Cookies. Here's the recipe:
Ingredients
* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons ground ginger
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup margarine, softened
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon water
* 1/4 cup molasses
* 2 tablespoons white sugar

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
  4. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses.
  5. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture.
  6. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
  7. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
  8. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Do not let them BROWN. The cookies will be almost undercooked in the middle.
Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
5) Coffee or tea?

I'm a bit of a coffee snob. When we drive to the Big Smoke we buy Starbucks beans and brew our own. I usually manage two cups a day. Not 8 cups. Like SOME people I know.

I'm equally fussy about the quality of my tea: Tetley, orange pekoe brewed till it's on the cusp of being stewed. But I also like herbal teas, aka petal juice.

5 comments:

  1. There is nothing wrong with eight cups of coffee. Nothing.

    I have a Roots messenger bag, I've had it for three years and it is the best. It has put up with extreme use, since I stuff it completely full every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds nuts, but there are some cool diaper bag messenger bags out there...I just SAYING...they have good styles and lots of room.

    I use Starbucks Pikes Place at home, my new found favourite to brew at home. After years, YEARS of nothing but Tetley I switched to Red Rose, but now I am thinking of switching back. And Hobnobs, I love them and grew up with them.

    I am so jealous of your trip! Say hello to the palm trees for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a roommate that refused to call herbal tea, tea. She called it hot fruity drinks. I think I like petal juice better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I switched to half-caf when I started staying home. I was going over my two cups a day max and had to keep peeling myself off the ceiling. :-)

    I like the new blog. Finally, a Star Trek reference I get!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had to come back & get this recipe for soft ginger cookies. I love ginger snaps but hate busting out teeth. These better be good, missy.

    ReplyDelete