Sunday, January 2, 2011

Meme of the Year.

I've been inspired by Fairly Odd Mother to take a stab at this very, very long meme. 

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
We raised Painted Lady Butterflies. In our house.
We have composting worms. In our house.
I try not to dwell on either of these things. 

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My 2010 resolution was the same as my 2009 resolution (and it will be my 2011 resolution): to not dye my hair.  It was inspired by a news story about a woman whose eye sight was damaged by chemical burns from hair dye.

This is hardly any great feat. My hair is only slightly grey while my sense of empty accomplishment is high.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No. *knock on wood*

4. Did anyone close to you die?
NO! *knock on wood*

5. What countries did you visit?
We visited two -- and I'm not even going to act blasé about that number.

In February we flew to Seattle, took a 36-hour Amtrak train ride to Los Angeles and spent 3 days in Disneyland. We had fun. No one was more surprised than I.

We spent Christmas in Puerto Vallarta with my husband's parents, his brothers, their spouses and children. It was fun. No one was more surprised than I.

I've decided the key to good vacation is low expectations. This might also double as my life philosophy.

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Ten hours of sleep a night.  That sleep should ideally commence BEFORE midnight. Especially on weekdays. 

7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
None. I suppose this is the beauty of an even-keeled existence.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
The kids aren't getting any dumber. That is pretty much the least a homeschooling mother can aspire too.

9. What was your biggest failure?
In January 2010 I painted the 7yo's room (orange). I still haven't put his bedroom door back up.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
NO! *knocks on wood*

We did have a few minor medical issues. In January we took 7yo to the hospital with a suspected concussion (turned out to be nothing).

The boys and I were laid out for almost all of February and March with a series of serious colds. I think I broke a rib coughing, and it was months before I could breath without being in pain.

In the summer 8yo came down with a case of torticollis.

Mr Wrath went to the ER for a tetanus shot after shooting our dog in face with a water pistol. She tried to bite the nozzle of the water pistol and instead got his finger. He received no sympathy from me or from the nurses at the hospital.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My Sony digital reader. Now no one can see the dust jackets of my books and learn about my addiction to low-brow murder mystery novels and chicklit novels.


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My kids, who continue to make me look good in public and in front of our relations.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
In real life? No one. This is more a reflection on my small social circle and should not be interpreted as my being zen-like.

14. Where did most of your money go?
I wish I knew. We're certainly not spending it on fancy clothes, expensive handbags, fine art or exotic liquors. That's not to say we lead lives of monastic simplicity, but rather that money seems to slip away without us even noticing.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The Olympics. Our homeschooling plans. Our new car. How well the boys are doing in reading and with their math. Our trip to Mexico. Our elderly dog not dying while at the kennel.

16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Why, WHY, WHY did I let the 8yo buy Whip Your Hair on iTunes?!

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
I think the status quo remains the status quo on all three fronts.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Slept.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Slept.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
We were in Mexico.

21. Did you fall in love with 2010?
No. What kind of freak falls in love with a year?

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Star Trek. Obviously. And in second place: Murder, She Wrote.


23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate? Hate's a pretty strong word. There are certainly a lot of people who annoy me greatly, but I don't hate anyone. Except Glenn Beck.


24. What was the best book you read?
Anything authored by Rick Riordan. I read all the Percy Jackson books, The Red Pyramid and The Lost Hero aloud to the boys. They were wonderful.


25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Science is Real by They Might Be Giants. It's a favourite with all anti-Creationist, anti-Intelligent Design, pro-science, homeschooling families.


26. What did you want and get?
An elliptical trainer. I really, really wanted one. If you're in the market, I recommend this one.


27. What did you want and not get?
2010 was our 10th wedding anniversary and I wanted a unique, modern family ring. I ordered a titanium band with our names etched into it from an online store. But the final product turned out to be awful. AWFUL. The names were illegible without a microscope. Ultimately I contacted the seller and arranged to get a refund. It was slightly satisfactory to recoup some of the money (no thanks to the stupid wildly fluctuating American dollar, and HUGE Canadian import duty), but I still don't have a family ring.


28. What was your favorite film of 2010?
I've just gone through our zip.ca rental history. Of the 75 disks we rented this year (don't judge: we don't have satellite or cable) only one was from 2010: Furry Vengeance. The only other 2010 movie we watched (at a movie theatre) was Toy Story 3.

Toy Story 3 was a sentimental crap-fest, that was just a regurgitation of Toy Story 2's theme that growing up is bad that getting rid any of your old belongings is a betrayal of your childhood!

Ergo I'm going to say that Furry Vengeance was my favourite movie of 2010. Sure it was a retread of Over The Hedge, but at least it didn't give my children the impression that day-cares resemble the final chapters of Lord of the Flies. Also I find it commendable that Brooke Shields let herself be cast as the mother of a teen.


29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Husband and I share a birthday (43 for him, and 37 for me), AND it was our 10th wedding anniversary. We went for a hike. Husband made cake.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
All in all it was a pretty good year and I haven't anything to complain about.  Except that I'm really sick of peep-toe, high-heeled, platform booties:



Women who wear these shoes should just tattoo "Please Don't Take Me Seriously" to their foreheads.It would be less painful.

UPDATE: Have re-discovered a pair of shoes I hate even more than the ones above! Check it out:

Aren't they HIDEOUS?


31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2010?
Yoga pants are a state of mind.


32. What kept you sane?
My husband. A day doesn't go by that I'm not thankful I married a funny, sexy, brilliant man who's a gourmet cook and is completely involved with our sons.


33. What political issue stirred you the most?
I'm disgusted with the way the Canadian and American governments have acted with respect to Omar Khadr.  More and more I think that the Canadian government doesn't give a flying fuck if foreign governments torture or murder Canadian citizens with brown skin, ie Maher Arar, Zahra Kazemi, Muayyed Nureddin. Equally disgusting is the way that the American government has ignored the United Nations regarding the prosecution/persecution of child soldiers by incarcerating and torturing a Canadian child.


34. Who did you miss?
My parents. We don't see nearly enough of them.


35. Who was the best new person you met?
I can't think of single new person I've met. I am a shut-in, after all.


36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
In order to thwart a hangover, you should drink one glass of water for every unit of alcohol you consume. This is lesson I need to learn over and over again.

Then there's the whole low expectations are always surpassed philosophy that I've been working on.


37. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Ladies if you feel me
do it do it whip your hair
Dont' matter if its long, short
do it do it whip your hair

Ladies if you feel me

come on do it do it whip your hair
Dont' matter if its long, short
do it do it whip your hair (your hair, your hair)

I whip my hair back and forth

I whip my hair back and forth (just whip my hair)
But I prefer the "Neil Young" version:

4 comments:

  1. Love it! And though I knew this, reading that Murder, She Wrote is one of your favorite shows makes me LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were right, it was a long meme, but enjoyable. :-) I'm not sure I could finish it without sounding a little pathetic. Whine, whine, whine (me, not you).

    Glenn Beck, yes. And thank you. I live in a conservative state and run into too many peers (yes, people OUR age) who like the guy. It frightens me, but I just keep my trap shut.

    I like the idea of a digital reader hiding the title I'm currently reading, I hadn't thought of that for the pro column. Chicklit is my weakness, though I keep thinking my *next* book will be one of the great American classics on my to-read list.

    And #32, that's so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always make everything so witty and interesting...not bad for a shut-in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Nancy,

    Love your blog. I'm really enjoying going through it, and not just because I'm putting off preparing for the class I'm supposed to teach tomorrow.

    By the way, where on earth does one find fenugreek leaves? If you grow them yourself I might have to hate you.

    Cheers,

    Sara

    ReplyDelete