Monday, January 10, 2011

Of Milestones And Doorways.

We bought this house eight years ago. Despite being horrified and mystified by the doors for the children's bedrooms:


Yes, there is a window/pass-through in that door.

I described them to my friend L, who responded "What kind of effed up behavioural and trust issues did the previous occupants have?"

"Replace doors" was added to the list of renovations we wanted to undertake. It went far down on the list. After:
-replace dingy carpet in living room
-remove all cedar paneling from living room, kitchen and hallway
-install new windows
-pull up ugly carpet in laundry room. Ask Caesar's Palace if they want their carpet back
-install screen doors
-try and remove all brass accents and thematic light switches from the house

With all the above projects -- and a few dozen more -- completed, Mr. Wrath tackled the door project this weekend:


I love them!. They are so pretty!

But alas, I miss the old ones.

Yes, they were ugly. But it turns out they weren't JUST creepy, they were functional.

Once the boys transitioned from the crib to toddler bed we would shut their doors at night. The windows meant that light and heat could get into their rooms, and Mr Wrath and I could hear if they needed help. Yes, many a night "Mommy, I threw up!" could be heard wafting down the hall.

We never had to deal with a child wandering into our bedroom at some ungodly hour under the mistaken impression that 5 AM was a time for non-shift working, sane people to get out of bed. "When the clock reads 8 AM you can get up," was the rule (though truthfully they are more than happy to sleep till 10 AM if we'd let them) we established early on.

Those doors served us well for timeouts: Remove screaming toddler to his room, shut door and listen until the wailing, screeching crazy person stops cursing you in Klingonese, then open the door and let him out. Worked beautifully.

But now the boys need privacy. No one wants to year 8yo play "Whip My Hair" for the 49th bazillion time. 7yo wants to role play Egyptian mummification,  and he doesn't want me sticking my head through the window to snap a photo of his efforts. Plus, they are now asking me questions about the television shows that I watch after they've gone to bed. "Does Beckett like Castle? She sure yells at him a lot," the eldest remarked a month ago. 7yo nodded, "And how come you don't watch Dollhouse anymore?"

Of course, their need for privacy doesn't extend to closing the door while on the toilet. But I'm hopeful.

5 comments:

  1. Those new doors are BEAUTIFUL! I could see advantages to the windows also...except for the fact that the boy who lives at my house probably would've promptly shattered them by throwing any number of objects at them and through them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOPS! Omaha Mama, I should edit the post since it was kind of misleading. There was no glass in the windows -- so maybe it's more accurate to call them pass-throughs? Or maybe "really large peep-holes"? But yes, lots of things were thrown through the holes during time outs. Once: every single stuffed animal and book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really, really giant peepholes? That's kind of funny. And kind of weird. Who would invent such doors? I can see the advantages...but I think I see more disadvantages in terms of post bedtime tv-watching, conversation, and *ahem* romantic time. But those new doors look really nice.

    By the way, when we first moved in, our house had a whole lot of wood panelling, but it was FAKE wood panelling. In different patterns. CLASSY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot imagine why anyone would put industrial doors in a house. You see those types of doors in office buildings not houses...and with the glass missing is even stranger.

    Your new doors are so nice! As for the bathroom stuff...my eldest will shut her door to get dressed and then come in the bathroom while I am showering or bathing one of her sisters and relieve herself right in front of us! I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new doors are lovely. I like 'em. But, would you send me your old doors? I need those. Would solve the problem of our baby monitors having so much feedback that it disturbs our sleep.

    ReplyDelete