Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Feminist Is Born.

The day of my kindergarten class photos, I joined my classmates as we walked single file down the hall to the school's cafeteria. We took turns sitting in an old desk with a scarred, wooden top (with a hole for an inkwell) and wrought iron legs, situated in front of backdrop of old books.

When my turn came, the photographer attempted to coax a smile from me with a line he'd probably used countless times before and after: How many boyfriends do you have?

Evidently, I found this inquiry to be highly inappropriate:


"Shut up, you dirty ol' perv, and take the damn photo."

10 comments:

  1. AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You could make a fancy button and have us all captioning our school photos. This is such a great post! Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is the best post EVER WRITTEN. I LOVE that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO! I love that photo! I bet your parents LOVED it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH my god. So much better than the generic cheesy grin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that makes me laugh. I am so glad you posted this. I think you could totally rock this hair cut, even today.

    The only class photo I can remember anything about is one from our twice a week "gifted studies" group. Picture day happened to be on St Patrick's Day, so we're all wearing the gaudiest green, mismatched outfits.

    I have to find it now! We are so blessedly geek kid awkward. AND GREEN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! You and I both rocked the Dorothy Hamill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this! Such a great expression on your face!

    ReplyDelete