Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Genius Or Idiocy -- Sometimes It Is Hard To Tell.

What do you think of the yellow sticker? Genius marketing campaign or sad statement about the publishing industry?

"Get beach ready this summer with a 
FREE spray tan."

I can't decide.  It is tacky. But I do think there is demographic overlap between women who read chick-lit and women who want spray tans.

[edited on March 30: Just to clarify: I don't spray tan. In fact I don't tan at all. I'm Irish and hence am covered in freckles.]

Regardless, the sticker caught my eye and I checked Tilly Bagshawe's Scandalous out of the library. It was a good, fast read. In some respects this was like a Danielle Steele novel. But with a plot. And authentic characters. And realistic dialogue. And sex scenes that didn't make me cringe (too much). So...pretty much nothing at all like a Danielle Steele book. Well, except for the last five pages when all the storylines were tied up (a bit too) neatly and the protagonists found EVERLASTING LOVE™.

+ + + + + + + + + +

Here's a close up of the fine print at the back of the book. Sadly the offer has expired. I am doomed to be pasty white whilst I read my chick lit novels.


7 comments:

  1. Free spray tan? Spray tans - actually, any fake tans - look ridiculous. Embrace your natural state, people. My SIL fake tans and she looks exactly like a leathery apple doll. One who wears crop tops and Daisy Dukes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't appreciate your attitude, missy. There ain't nothing wrong w/ apple dolls, daisy dukes & crop tops. It is my god-given right to look like an Oompa Loompa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, being that I'm all for a good spray tan, not the kind that makes you orange though...if it makes me orange, then I want my money back on the book!, well, I'm swayed by this offer. Although I'll admit the title wasn't chicklitty enough. I'd prefer something more along the lines of: Suzy Buys a Puppy at the Mall and Meets Mr. Right. That and the spray tan=SOLD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a fan of the spray tan or fake "real" tans. My cousin has fake baked since she was 16 and although she's 6 years younger than me her skin is starting to look leather-esque. I wonder how many people cashed in on the spray tan offer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It definitely wouldn't encourage me to buy a book and it is true that most people I know who fake & bake or spray are positively orange. I didn't know Sophie Kinsella had a new book, thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Problem with spray tans is that the only ones you notice are the bad ones. There are spray tanned people walking among us RIGHT NOW unnoticed. Creepy, right?

    Unless they can spray tan on me some SPF 40000, I'll pass.

    The closest thing to chick lit I've ever read was Are You There God, It's Me Margaret. That counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Might have to give this author a try...you know I love a good novel! The neatly tied up ending? I have yet to tire of that.

    ReplyDelete