Saturday, March 19, 2011

Hello. My Name Is...

Niles: Okay, so "Delilah" is out? No, that's fine, that's fine. What are your ideas? ... Taylor. Fletcher. Cooper. Tanner? Where are you getting these, the "Big Book of Medieval Professions?"
                                                              Frasier, Season 10,
                                                              "Fathers and Sons."
                                                              Written by Jon Sherman.
                                                               Original Airdate: May 6th, 2003.


I think of this quote (and giggle) when I meet people whose names sound similar to medieval professions, ie Mason, Hunter, Sawyer, Sailor, Deacon, Tanner, Trooper, Walker, Archer, Marshall, Forrester, Miller, Ranger, Fisher, Piper, Fletcher. This isn't to say that I don't like many of these names. I do. Though I wouldn't recommend using them for a set of siblings.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I have a new addition to my "You named your child WHAT?!" collection:

(source: Parents Magazine, February 2011, page 168)

Is this a regional, cultural or historical reference I'm not getting? Or is this girl really named after the profession of a wagon driver?


= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Edited to add:

Of course this is still my favourite "You named your child WHAT?!" entry:



= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

March 21, 2011: I'm going to turn off & hide these comments. I don't want any mad mommas coming after me because they googled their kids name and wound up here.