Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Lion, The Itch, and The Wardrobe.

Is there such a thing as a bed bug proof suitcase?

If no, then somebody needs to patent one. Quickly.



I need a new suitcase and was considering a hard-sided "spinner" case. I'd assumed -- incorrectly it turns out -- that the appeal of these was the aesthetics (so many pretty colours and designs!) and because they were impervious to bed bug infestations. But it turns out that like a conventional suitcase, a spinner has a full cloth lining perfectly suited for some itchy stowaways to accompany me home from vacation.


Is there such a thing as a suitcase with an ABS/polycarbonate shell, that does not have a lining? What I want is luggage that post-vacation can be scrubbed with bleach or insecticide or SOMETHING to kill any possible bed bugs.

Who else wants to buy one of these? Or do you have another bed bug-free luggage suggestion? Do you think I should just start using Rubbermaid tubs as suitcases?

4 comments:

  1. I love those new hard shell suitcases, yes the patterns and colours look so vacationy. Has no one thought of a suitcase you can disinfect...seems impossible?! You could be in on it at the beginning a stainless steel lined case that can be wiped down after a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents used to have hardshell plastic samsonites that had NO lining. They were made in the late 80's. They got rid of them a few years later because they were so heavy but they did exist at some point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, but now I am starting to feel a little gross about our suitcases. Bed bugs in suitcases! Eeep, I never thought of that before! Ewww!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Up until this point in my life, I did not worry about bed bugs while traveling. So thanks a bunch for that. ;)

    Rubbermaid tubs, you coud superglue wheels on, use a belt to pull it. New trend alert!!

    ReplyDelete