Saturday, March 26, 2011

Nimoy Day. Because The Fun Never Stops.

Don't let it be said that I play favourites when it comes to the command officers of the USS Enterprise.

Okay I'm not crazy, I knew you weren't going to say that. Just cut me some slack. It's late. I'm tired. I'm almost 40 -- it's getting harder and harder for me to be relevant and/or slightly amusing without resorting to parenthetical asides or photos of hot men.

The point is, we celebrated Shatner Day on Tuesday, ergo today was Nimoy Day! We watched Search For Spock. Mr Wrath made popcorn balls as a homage to the Fesarius from the Corbomite Maneuver. For dinner I made Lemon Nimoy Milk Chicken (original recipe here). Though now I wonder if I simultaneously insulted Mr Nimoy's Orthodox Jewish heritage AND his current vegetarian dietary habits. Oops.

As I did on Tuesday with Mr Shatner, I'm posting a few amusing clips from Mr Nimoy's career.

First up, some of the commercials that Mr Nimoy has done. The first one is from 1992. I wish I owned this Christmas ornament. I would wear on a chain around my neck.



When this commercial aired I wanted my parents to buy an Oldsmobile minivan, instead of their lame-O Volkswagon Golf:



This commercial is one my mother enjoys (By the way, Mom: don't read the post from yesterday. Or if you do read it, lets not discuss it. Okay. Thanks. Bye):



Leonard read a Top Ten List on The Late Show With David Letterman just before the release of the release of the Star Trek reboot in the spring of 2009. In the intro Letterman keeps saying Star Wars instead of Star Trek. I assume this is because Letterman was exhausted from having sex with young women in his employ. *cough*PhilanderingDirtBag*cough*



Finally, here's a clip of Leonard Nimoy singing. Show of hands: whose glad they weren't born in the 60s?




Happy 80th birthday, Mr Nimoy. 
You are STILL younger than The Shat! 
Never let him forget that!


Hope you enjoy this cake I whipped up for you, Mr Nimoy. It's kosher. And vegan. Promise.

5 comments:

  1. Geez, I SO wish I lived down the street from you. The Milk Chicken looks really cool -- although it reminded me of when I went to my resolutely unilingual friend's house for dinner around Christmas and realized for the first time that egg nog in French was lait de poule and translated it as chicken milk, which didn't overly impress her Mom. Spock Rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love diorama cakes. Reminds me of 9th grade home ec. And now I am craving cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need a cake show! Happy Nimoy Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that ornament. I even went into the store and almost bought it. And then I didn't. And now I will regret it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They played the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins on CBC Radio one afternoon. We were in the middle of reading The Hobbit to my five year old at the time and he was enthralled. Thinks it's a great tune. :)

    ReplyDelete