Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Twilight Zone.

The internet has exposed me to lifestyles and philosophies that are not represented in my daily life in this small northern town. For instance, in real life I do not know a single solitary neo-druid or wiccan. Based on the number of people who commemorated yesterday's summer solstice, there are LOTS of devotees of alternative religions in my blog roll and twitter stream. And so long as they don't come knocking on my door trying to convert me, I'm not judging their choices. Publicly, anyway.

"It's going to be winter soon," is the comment my father traditionally makes the day after the summer solstice. Because he -- like I -- enjoy Canadian winters. Also because he -- like I -- find it amusing to make people cry.

My singular annual ritual is tacking a black bed sheet over the south facing window in our bedroom in the middle of June. It's been overcast in the mornings for the past few weeks, and the earlier arrival of the sun had gone unnoticed. Until yesterday when I awoke to our bedroom bathed in sunlight. I thought it was 8 AM and that Mr Wrath and I had slept through our alarms. It was 4:30 AM.

Last night I stayed up too late. The very last yellow rays of the sun were still visible at quarter past 11.  At 1 AM the street lights flickered on for a few brief hours, the solar lights in the neighbours' gardens stayed dim, unable to respond to the prolonged twilight. The horizon from the north-eastern point where the sun had set, to the north-western point where the sun would soon appear, were a beautiful electric blue. I felt like I had jet lag, my body clock out of synch with my time zone and my northern life.

7 comments:

  1. It's been overcast here for weeks (and weeks!) so the early wakings weren't a factor until Sunday morning. Now, I'm up at 5AM or so. It's warm enough (barely) to sleep with the windows open, and that dewy stillness punctuated with birdsong at that hour is something I treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a kid, I always liked waking up at 3am and finding it light outside. As a parent with kids who don't sleep in the light, I don't think I'd appreciate it as much...plus the bugs. I really don't miss those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I just realized that I didn't point out that as a kid I lived up north, but now I don't. Sorry, my fever is making me delirious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fascinating to me, this idea of the sunlight being so constant. I'll shut up the thoughts in my head of being annoyed that it is so light at 6 AM, I really have nothing to complain about! My own kids are annoyed at 8:30 when I put them to bed and it's still light. Mason will lift the shade, look! Look, mom, it's not night yet. I suppose your kids' rooms have blackout curtains?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My girls do not like going to bed before it is dark either. I just added some heavier drapes to make Sweatpea's room a bit darker...this summer. Mama needs all the sleep she can get. I love summer evenings, I need to make a point of slowing down once in a while to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your father just made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. That is a lot of light. I mostly hate our summer - might as well just crawl under a hot wet blanket for two months.

    ReplyDelete