Sunday, November 27, 2011

Younger is Not a Synonym for Better.

This annoys me:



For one thing, contrary to the label this is NOT a book. It's just a two-hundred page catalog of products and services, sold on the magazine rack. It costs as much as a book, but it's still a magazine that you will chuck within 3 weeks.

Secondly, the cover model is Jenny "I hate science and want your kids to die of measles" McCarthy. She is ridiculous and dangerous.

Thirdly, I KNOW that makeover shows and articles are really about looking YOUNGER, but I appreciate the artifice of that goal being implied not stated. I'm all for tips on looking better (although I prefer articles about diet, exercise and fashion to ones about serums, operations, and pills), but I'm trying to make peace with looking my age.  It wounds my approaching-40 soul to see a magazine blatantly equating younger with better.

7 comments:

  1. This newly-minted 47 year old has no comment. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more - about Jennie McCarthy and the ridiculous cult of youth. I heard Sheryl Crow (who generally I love) say "forty is the new thirty" once and I'm pretty sure a baby bunny died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. This is why celebrities get weirdass plastic surgery and think they look better because they look younger, when in reality they really just look weirder. Wrinkles are OKAY, people. Ugh. Also, I appreciate that Jenny McCarthy is a mom and probably just trying to do the best she can for her son, but SCIENCE TRUMPS YOU EVERY TIME, JENNY. I squirm whenever another vaccination debate comes up, which is all the freaking time. We live in such a privileged society, one where child mortality rates are not sky-high. Children used to die of these diseases. DIE.

    My nerves, as Hannah would say, my nerves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally cool with wrinkles and even grey hair. I even like them. But the saggy bits that I'm growing do bother me.

    You, by the way, are way the hell hilarious. I want you to post more pictures though. I want to see what it looks like 200 km from the middle of no where! Nevermind, I'll just come visit...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for bursting my bubble. What next...being skinny doesn't make you smarter?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was one thing I liked about the traditional societies of Mauritania and Morocco--they respected age, and you were supposed to look your age (rather than 25, like here) and it was kind of relaxing, to know you were supposed to look matronly and leave the hotness to the nubile young and unmarried. Of course I'm too AMerican to ever relax--I was always putting on sunscreen and trying to say no to grease-soaked food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I AGREE. In fact, I noticed some wrinkles around my eyes in some recent photos and was very pleased. I've earned those babies and feel like things will only get better with each and every crease.

    ReplyDelete