Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Warp Speed Wednesday: Vulcans We Have Heard on High.


My goal for this yule season was a new tree topper. Ideally it would've been a steam punk-inspired robot made from re-purposed items we used in our ongoing basement renovation. But I wasn't skilled enough to strike a balance between aesthetically-pleasing and not-too-heavy-to-be-suspended-on-the-top-of-our-fir-tree.

When I admitted defeat last week, I started to play around with the idea of a more Trek-centric tree topper. The results were abysmal:


Feel free to laugh.  Don't mind that I'm over here in the corner crying with the shame of my apparent uncraftiness. I'll be the first to admit this doesn't look like a Spock/Angel. At best it looks like a Spock/Butterfly. Either way it doesn't fill me with the Christmas spirit.

I'd feel a lot worse about this, if I didn't have a bellyful of Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Stars, courtesy of Terri B from Tip of the Iceberg. They're heavenly. Unlike Spock.

9 comments:

  1. Giggling. Just giggling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I conpletely thought "why did she turn Spock into a butterfly?". It doesn't help that the red looks pink in the picture. I think you want the wings to curve up more at the tips and maybe come to a point - plus then they'd match his ears!. Great, now you've actually got me thinking about how to make Spock look more like an angel. I LOVE the steampunk robot idea too. You have the vision, you just need a team to carry it out. Live merry and prosper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone talks about Trader Joe's. Kind of feels like we need one up here, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here I was trying to figure out the imagery of the butterfly...rebirth...metamorphosis...Hee. It took me years to realize there is a Trader Joe's a block away from our family in Long Island, can't wait to visit next trip. I was over the moon when I visited Whole Foods which just opened near us...bought only one thing though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're crafty like I'm crafty. Thus why not one ornament on my tree was made by me.

    I love butterfly Spock. I think he's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness I can't stop laughing. Butterfly Spock is epically awesome!!!



    Maybe those crafty genetics are just a little recessive.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. ALSO, do you remember whatever episode that was in Next Generation that had a Captain Picard Day and all the kids on the ship made versions of him? I think you host a trekkie tree topper contest next year, and end up with a table full of uniquely crafty versions of Star Trek just like that clip in the show. Plus someone just might make a worse Butterfly Spock than you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the tree topper- even as a non-Trekkie!

    ReplyDelete