Thursday, December 8, 2011

Warp Speed Wednesday. Now on Thursday!

Yesterday was not -- as I thought -- Tuesday. It was Wednesday. Which means that today is not Wednesday, but rather Thursday. Which means two things:
1. that I need to consider using this newfangled invention called a calendar, and
2. I'm late with my weekly Star Trek post.

I hope I didn't keep anyone waiting with bated breath. Or even non-bated breath, for that matter.

Did I mention that I went to university with Castle star Nathan Fillion? Approximately 48010 people just rolled their eyes because I frequently mention that I went to university with Castle star Nathan Fillion. But it was a large university and I never actually spoke to Nathan Fillion while we were both at the University of Alberta in the early nineties. However I did frequently watch him perform in Theatre Sports and stalked him through HUB mall. Good times.

Needless to say I love the show Castle. The writing is clever, the dialogue is witty, Stana Katic's wardrobe is awesome (side note: her hair is way too high maintenance to be believable), it's not too gory, Castle is the only male lead role on television today who doesn't require psychiatric help and a regime of mood stabilizing drugs, and former Star Trek actors occasionally make appearances. Examples to follow:

Penny Johnson Jerald is the precinct's new captain, Victoria Gates. She portrayed Cassidy Yates on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Did you recognize Beckett's therapist? He's a smooth-foreheaded Michael Dorn, aka Worf from The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine. His voice is sublime.

This concludes today's lesson in The Subversive Presence of Star Trek in Mainstream Media. Have a good not-Wednesday, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. "Newfangled thing called a calendar." Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael Dooooooorrrrrnnnn.

    Confession: I've never watched Castle. I feel like I'm missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nicole -- of course I do own a calendar. Guess what type? GUESS! A Star Trek calendar! Of course.

    Hodgepodge -- Castle's a lot of fun. It's like a "Murder, She Wrote" and "Moonlighting" hybrid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I have to think my backlog of Castle episodes on the PVR (ha! I almost said VCR! HA!) is to blame, but it seems to me I HAVE seen episodes with her in therapy and if I missed the fact that that was Michael Dorn then I don't even know what....

    ReplyDelete