Sunday, December 25, 2011

What Is Christmas With No Snow?

Fortunately my parents did not have their hearts set on having a quiet relaxing Christmas afternoon. Because the boys are downstairs screaming and squealing and jumping around as they play games on the new Wii system.

Since dinner duties are being managed by my mother and Mr Wrath, I've got fifteen minutes to complete Nicole's Five Quick Christmas Questions meme:

1. What is your favourite Christmas beverage?
I like to celebrate the festive season with a little beverage I call Not Eggnog. This isn't so much a particular drink, but an adjective I use during the Christmas season, ie Yes, I'd love a beverage just so long as it Not Eggnog, because I have not cultivated a taste for thick, phlegm-inspiring liquids with a hint of nutmeg.

2. What is your favourite Christmas song?
I will assume this is a matter of the favourite Christmas song I like to hear, because I do not sing. Not even at Christmas time.  For two weeks I've been listening to Rick Steves' European Christmas cd at least once daily -- it's my current favourite. But my favourite stand alone song is "Snow" from White Christmas.



3. What is your favourite Christmas movie?
Every year I make a point of watching White Christmas. Though it's not my favourite Bing Crosby Christmas movie. That honour would go to Holiday Inn. Alas I don't own a copy of Holiday Inn (WHY NOT?!, I am now wondering), so two weeks ago I sat down with the boys and watched White Christmas.

Other movies I watch around Christmas: You've Got Mail, anything with Cary Grant, The Family Stone, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and Muppet's Family Christmas. We intended to watch the latter last night, only to realize that our VCR tape is kaput.

4. What is your favourite Christmas dessert?
My Nanny's cherry cake. Mmmm. Glace cherries. 



5. How long do you leave your Christmas decorations up?
The answer to this varies from year to year. I don't think we've ever kept the tree up until Epiphany -- this might be an argument in favour of a plastic tree. The last decorations to come down will be the boughs of greenery on the front patio. Those will be up till they turn brown, so about the end of March when the snow starts to melt.

6 comments:

  1. Who comments on Christmas, why me of course! Merry Christmas to you all! I swear I was just checking in on family emails. ;) I bet the boys are having a blast with the WII.

    Do you know we missed almost every Christmas movie this year, we will have to make it up somehow.

    We have celebrated with three family branches and have another big dinner tomorrow. Then off to Niagara for Papoosie Girl's b-day, why do we do this to ourselves?!

    Enjoy your holiday, your family and your snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Egg nog is milky slime. Your are correct.

    And now I will clutter your comments with my own answers:

    1. Lamb's Wool. It's like liquid apple pie.

    2. Hark the Herald Angels Sing or Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence for the hymns. Secular tune would be I'll Be Home for Christmas.

    3. Can't choose. But I watch popular action movies while I wrap presents Christmas Eve: Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Long Kiss Goodnight, Ghost and the Darkness. If I had Adventures in Babysitting I would watch that too.

    4. Panettone maybe?

    5. After Epiphany to whenever I get around to it. Sometimes it is a scandalously long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not eggnog - correct! Eggnog is horrible. Why is it so popular?

    I want to take the tree down NOW. But I am encountering resistance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, my boys got a Wii too! They are currently playing Mario Cart (Kart?? Maybe?) with Mr. They are PRETTY excited about it! Even I received a Wii game - Jeopardy! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't get eggnog either. Doesn't it just take up valuable space that could be filled with food? I watched a Supernatural marathon while wrapping presents, but around Christmas I hunt obsessively for special Christmas episodes of shows I've never even seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ordered White Christmas and Holiday in on Amazon the day after Christmas. It was not on much this year on cable, and I refuse to spend one more year missing my two favorite holiday movies! Win win, the White Christmas DVD is a two-in-one with It's a Wonderful Life, which is Jay's favorite. I think I got all three movies for $26, a heck of a deal. I also love the song Snow. What a great movie.

    ReplyDelete