Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Warp Speed Wednesday: NERDGASM -- SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Good news -- Mr Wrath's work schedule has changed and now we can go to the Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo.

I'm so excited! It will be the day AFTER my [gulp] 39th birthday, and Mr Wrath's [gulp] 45th birthday AND our 12th wedding anniversary.

I finally get to go to a Star Trek  (and other Geek-tastic stuff) convention! One that will feature the ENTIRE CAST of Star Trek: The Next Generation. How cool is that?


Admittedly, I would be a little more excited about going if I knew exactly what happens at a convention, or how the boys are going to cope. Will they be bored? Will they be okay lining up for events? And sitting through sessions? Which hotel should we stay at? How much money should we expect to spend on pop-culture stuff? Will I finally be able to find a cool Wonder Woman shirt? Should we dress-up in cosplay? Can I justify this as a homeschool field trip? Would it be art? Science? Career planning?

Anyone have some advice? 

6 comments:

  1. I used to go to them when I was a teen, then took the girl child to a big anime con in Seattle for her birthday a couple years.

    1: You'll spend whatever amount you bring for souvenirs. Every last penny. So bring whatever you're comfortable with & expect to trade it in for awesomeness.

    2: My son was 7 at his 1st one & did great. Everyone fawned all over him. He had so much fun.

    3: YES dress up. It's just fun. If you don't you'll probably end up wishing you did, when you see how much everyone else is having.

    4:Definitely dress up the boys at least (see #2).

    5: Probably can't justify it as a homeschool field trip, but who cares?

    6: Bring snacks & things to do for the boys while in line. You'll be in lines for autographs that hardly move. Mine did just fine with drawing paper, they made lots of friends.

    7: I'm so jealous! You're going to have a great time & that's a great bday/anniversary present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! Print out the schedules. Most conventions have a ton of stuff for kids to do. Character bingo w/prizes, etc. This also will help you not end up in any adult-themed panels.

    The only Star Wars panel at our convention was X-rated & did not even hint at that in the title. Glad I looked up the description before we went!

    You can't do EVERYTHING at the convention, but they usually stagger things that if you plan, you can hit most of the things that are most important to you guys.

    If you can stay on site, do it. It's sort of like Disneyland. You'll get more out of it in regards to time & enjoyment if you can easily go back to your room when you or the boys get tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are so good at doing your research you should be fine! I agree though at staying at whatever hotel is close by would be easier on everyone.

    Have a great time! Some friends of mine went to Comic Con this year and it was a trip of a lifetime...the photos were unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no clue. Sounds like a blast, though. You MUST dress up. And make yourself phasars. And talk to each other in character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you wear a costume, will you please please please post a picture?! I love the word nerdgasm. I think you should trademark it and find a way to put it in the title of your first memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to a ST convention once! I bought Bajoran-style earrings. I rarely wore them b/c the cuff bothered my ear.

    I think you and the boys will do JUST fine.

    I like Eryn's suggestion to get a schedule first. Pick the absolute MUST-DOs and then be flexible around everything else.

    The boys are gonna die. They will just love it. I am sure.

    BTW, I've been watching The Big Bang Theory. It's worth it for all the geeky Star Trek and Star Wars references alone. Not kid suitable, though.

    ReplyDelete