Friday, March 16, 2012

The Bitch Is In The Blog.

It was not my intention to write another post about Q104's "The Male Is In The Czech" contest. On Monday morning, I read the Halifax-based station's Twitter feed, saw the photos of the contest's "winner" and figured it was over.
(screen capture from the station's Facebook page)

On Wednesday, I saw this tweet:


I listened to the mp3 file of the interview.  Bryony House's Laurie Ehler did a great job explaining that the mail-order bride business is a known conduit for human trafficking around the globe. She was also exceedingly polite and diplomatic when (at the 3:40 mark) the DJ characterized the contest's opponents as "some people here in Halifax with a lot of spare time, a phone, a computer and a desire to fight for a cause." That would've hurt my feelings, if I were not easily amused by churlish sooks.

I suspect this interview will be cited by the station when they formally defend their behaviour to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission and the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council. Personally, I do not think that 5 minutes and seven seconds is enough. After all, Q104 did not cancel the contest. Q104 has not apologized for callously portraying the mail-order bride industry as a fun, harmless, sexy, international adventure for men and women. Q104 doesn't concede the contest's name was vulgar. Q104 won't even acknowledge that the imagery in their promo ad was sexist and offensive.

The Q104 damage control strategy is -- in my biased and cynical opinion -- to pretend like nothing happened and hope the public will forget about the whole thing.  The station has deleted the tweets they sent on Monday announcing the "winner." "The Male Is In The Czech" pages have disappeared from the station's website. 


But I will not forget. And so long as the Search Engine gods send people to my site, I will not let Q104 forget, either. 

• • • • • • • •

I'm chumming the waters with search terms:


Halifax, Halifax radio station, Canada, Q104, The Mighty Q, CFRQ-FM, Newcap Radio, sexist, misogynistic, czech-brides.com, Flying Hearts, Czech Republic, Prague, Mail Order Bride, Human Trafficking, International Women's Day, Megan Leslie, House of Commons, New Zealand, The Rock, New Zealand Broadcasting Authority and Mediaworks, Win-A-Wife, Win a Trip to Beautiful Ukraine for 12 Nights and Meet Eastern European Hot Lady Who Maybe One Day You Marry, Endless Love Agency, Kiwi, Ukraine, Femen, exploitation, personal introduction, The Bear, 100.3 FM, Edmonton, Win A Wife, Win a Russian Romance, Volga Girls, Thomas Lukaszuk, matchmaking, immigration fraud, or modern-day sex slavery, September, February, 2012, 2011, sweeps, radio ratings, advertising rates, shameless promotion, United Nations, prostitution.

3 comments:

  1. So they deleted the contest from their site? Hmm. That says something, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you've got a feisty feminist category here. You're my Canadian Heroine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I missed this post. (What's new. I seem to miss a lot of your posts, somehow.)

    But wow! I am glad they did that much, although it isn't nearly enough and I am glad the spokesperson from Bryony House was such a perfect person for that interview.

    Mostly, I am proud I have friends like you who are willing to speak out against idiocies like this.

    P.S. I do not know if idiocies is a word and if it is, whether or not I spelled it correctly.

    ReplyDelete