Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Falafel. Forever.

Falafel -- our rottweiler-husky cross -- was euthanized today.

Family walk, March 18, 2012

I can't bring myself to say she passed away, or passed on, or succumbed to old age, or was put to sleep. None of these phrases do justice to the amount of suffering she endured in recent days. None of these communicate how tough it was to decide to end her pain.

She was our companion for almost 13 years. She was a good dog. She was the BEST dog. Never once since I went to the Dawson Creek SPCA in 1999 and saw her -- the only dog in the entire pound not barking, but instead wagging her tail and smiling -- have I ever met or seen a dog who was half as sweet, gentle, patient, good-natured, playful or happy.

Tomorrow morning we will wake up and she won't be here. My near-constant companion for 13 years is gone. This hurts so much more than I expected.

• • • • • •

These are some of my favourite photos of Falafel:

January 2000


The photo that earned her a place in a dog calendar. Taken in June 2001. 



June 2011

 August 2011


With Osiris, September 2011


With Ezri, March 2012 


Thanks to everyone -- my real life friends and family and my "imaginary" friends from the internet  -- for being so supportive. I am touched by your kindness and compassion. 

17 comments:

  1. I have no words for you. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry Nan. A good pup will change you forever.

    She was beautiful. Look at those eyes.

    I'm crying with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry. Thank you for sharing photos of her with us. She looks like the best dog ever. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. We only had our dog for four years, and I still miss him seven years later, so I can only imagine how difficult it would be for you to no longer have the beautiful Falafel after 13 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so very sorry. She was a special dog and a good friend to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing with us. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm so sorry. i hurt for you. i know how special our dogs are, and when we lose them it is a crushing grief that fills our hearts. you are in my thoughts. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so, so, so sorry. She was so lucky to have felt so much love from you all. And it sounds like you were all so lucky to have her in your lives. Just know that there are so many of us dog lovers out here that have tears in our eyes too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Nan and boys and Mr. Wrath, I am so, so sorry to hear about Falafel. I know how much you loved her and how much she will be missed. I still think fondly of my childhood dog and I am sure it will be the same for your boys one day. What a lucky puppy to have found a home with you guys and in turn you were equally lucky to have her.

    Sending warm thoughts to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great dog she was. What a beautiful, good-natured, happy dog. I'm sure she was so happy to be part of your family and part of your life for so long. It's so hard when you have to let a part of your family go, and it's even harder to see them suffer. I'll be thinking about you a lot. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nan, I'm so sorry for your loss. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh so sorry! What a lovely dog she was.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry for your loss. So happy that you had each other for as long as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She sounds like a truly amazing and wonderful part of your family who will be very, very missed.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete