Friday, May 11, 2012

"Mr Smith, I Need You."

Today feels like a Saturday. Mr Wrath had the day off and he spent the morning doing chores and running errands. He had the winter tires swapped off both cars, which is risky. It's only May -- it might snow again.  Then he did yard work and kept the boys entertained. I puttered about the kitchen making bread and baking granola all the while watching Remington Steele. I love 80s detective shows. They're my version of comfort food.

Not only have I lost track of the days, I didn't notice the time. Suddenly it was 7 o'clock and I hadn't even thought about making dinner. Through the miracle of frozen leftovers (turkey meatballs for some of us, lasagna for others, slices of fresh bread for all) dinner was compiled, served and eaten by 8. Just in time for us to watch an episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures.

We discovered the series this last summer. Initially I was apprehensive about watching it, because I'm a complete wimp when it comes to scary shows. I have a love/fear relationship with Doctor Who.  It isn't so much scary as it is unnerving and (more importantly) British! For every nice, sweet, un-unnerving British show like Heartbeat, All Creatures Great and Small, or Fawlty Towers, there are dozens that freak me out. As validation of this theory I offer up the British expression "behind the sofa," which is used thusly:

As soon as I hear the intro song to Doctor Who I hide behind the sofa and don't come out till the end credits roll. 
I store a packet of hob-nobs behind the sofa, so I have something to occupy myself while my husband watches Sherlock or Spooks or Top Gear. Jeremy Clarkson is the devil.  
 Know what show never forces me to quake behind the sofa and sob? Time Team -- it is the anti-Wallander. Also the anti-Primeval. Remind me not to be such a bitch next time I rant on about mindless, formulaic American television shows like Three and a Half Men


The crazy thing is that as much as the shows I just listed scare me, I still love them. Well, not Three and a Half Men -- that's a piece of irredeemable, corn-filled crap. Also Jeremy Clarkson isn't REALLY the devil. However, I bet he'd be all handsy if I ever found him behind my sofa.


The Sarah Jane Adventures is a Doctor Who spin-off series and is aimed at children. Despite this I often have to leave the room when it gets too intense. "Tell me when it's not scary!" I will call out to my sons who have NOT inherited my wimpy ways. Perhaps they've been a good influence on me, because I've started watching Torchwood on Netflix. But only during the daytime, and only when I'm on the elliptical trainer.  Torchwood is conducive to exercising because the creepier the scene, the more furiously I move my arms and legs.  It's the healthier alternative to hiding out behind the sofa with a box of hob-nobs. And Jeremy Clarkson.

So what did you do today?

º º º º º º º º

And just for the sake of being random...


14 comments:

  1. I guess I hadn't pegged you as a wimp. We're sure not. I watch horror movies when I'm up alone at 2am.

    Because no matter how bad life gets sometimes, it's never THAT bad. I'm not a topless teen running from a chainsaw murderer. I'm not stuck in an attic while my zombie children try to eat my brains. I'm not at risk of being locked up because nobody will believe me that the pissed off ghosts of children killed in the basement of my house are after me. See? Things are pretty good!

    Anyway, I don't really know what I did today. It kind of got away from me. I know I played Lego board games with the kids & made salsa chicken for dinner. And watched a couple episodes of Reaper with my husband.

    What day IS it, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JESUS, MARY AND JOSEPH, ERYN!!!!!!! NOW I'M NOT GOING TO SLEEP AT ALL. EVER. AGAIN.

      Delete
  2. I don't like horror movies. But I do like those British drama things. I am not SURE exactly what the diff is b/t silence of the lambs and Whitechapel, but I refuse to watch Silence and love Whitechapel.

    I STILL like David Tennant as Dr. Who. Am NOT sold on Matt Smith even after three seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried Jekyll? It's so creepy, but it's from the BBC so I want to love it! David Tennant is MY Doctor Who -- there will be no other.

      Delete
  3. I haaaate horror movies. Also lately I'm not into anything that makes me think or gives me feeeeeelings. I'm thinking of seeing The Avengers.

    Today? Today has just begun. But yesterday - I WAS SO BUSY. Mr Nicole also had the day off - twinsies! - and we went to a "slab warehouse", then to the appliance store, then to run a thousand more errands, picked the dog up from the groomer's, then out to dinner for early Mother's Day. In the seconds I was at home I baked and decorated cupcakes for my mom's birthday (today) and did two loads of laundry. Then I drank three glasses of wine and tweeted drunkenly. A BUSY BUSY DAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your day sounds exhausting! You earned the wine.

      Delete
  4. I don't like scary movies. But I don't mind suspense. There is a fine line for me. I do a lot of watching through my opening and shutting fingers. I should just get behind the couch.

    It IS Saturday by now. I am currently in my pajamas (even though it is 11 AM) and am procrastinating housework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to lose my taste for suspense, too. Sometimes I will scan ahead and watch the last 10 minutes of a show, then go back & watch the scary/intense bits b/c if I know the ending, I'm much less nervous. I'm so grateful to live in the digital age.

      Delete
  5. Hey, us Americans like our mindless formatic tv shows, probably just because the only other things we know are Fox News (do you know about Fox News up in Canada??) and reality tv shows that are even worse, but those are small details in the matter. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I need to go watch some Friends reruns that I've only seen two dozen times in the last 15 years.

    Oh, and I think you should watch the original Jurassic Park movie with your boys, they'll totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me, Marty: I LOVE Friends!

      There is no Canadian branch of Fox News. They tried to open up a station, but in Canada it's illegal to lie on the news, and there's no way for Fox to make money (and scare people into being xenophobes) if forced to be honest.

      Delete
  6. Dr Who is one of those shows that I want to like, i feel like I'm supposed to like, but then when I sit down and try to watch it, I fall asleep. This has happened every time. There is an emotional disconnect between the doctor and me. It does not engage me.

    I hide behind the sofa not in fear, but in embarrassment. If I get embarrassed for fictional characters, I have to leave the room. It is actively painful to me. This makes many sitcoms off limits for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here: when I'm cringing at the stupidity of characters, I can not enjoy a show. Or a book, for that matter.

      Delete
  7. OK I generally like suspenseful TV shows and movies, but found that I could not watch Supernatural. It seems right up my alley - supernatural stuff, mildly attractive young man leads, mysteries, streaming on Netflix. And yet, after watching 3 episodes, I decided I could watch it only during the day time. Since I work and have young kids, this basically means I've never watched it again. Too. Much. Suspense.

    So, basically I guess I'm saying if you ever feel the urge to give it a try, I'd pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright: I'm adding Supernatural to the list of shows I won't be watching. Thanks for the head's up.

      Delete