Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Colin Firth + Leather Trousers = All is Right With the World. For now.

Like all women of my generation, I am very fond of the scene in A&E's Pride and Prejudice when Colin Firth (aka Mr Darcy) takes a swim in the lake at Pemberley.


I also appreciate the scene in What A Girl Wants, when Mr Firth dances around wearing very tight leather trousers.

   

 Did you recognize the actress in that scene? IT'S DUCK FACE! FROM FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL!

What A Girl Wants is one of several movies that are my version of "comfort food." It's because of this fondness that I feel sad reading about Amanda Bynes' recent legal issues.  As a veteran of celebrity gossip sites, I have a pretty good idea of the trajectory of this story. We've seen it with Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, Corey Haim, Brad Renfro, Tatum O'Neal, Gary Coleman and River Phoenix.

For every child actor who succumbs to a path of self-destruction there are very few who transition from childhood to adulthood with (on occasion, a great deal of plastic surgery -- and) a minimum amount of scandal. IN fact the only three I can think of are Natalie Portman, Jodie Foster (though she's got to stop making apologies for Mel Gibson's anti-semitic, violent, misogynistic behaviour) and Anna Paquin.

Guess which list will eventually feature "Honey Boo Boo Child?"

8 comments:

  1. "In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."

    ARDENTLY. RAWR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Mr. Darcy. *fans self*

    Is it any wonder our poor husbands just can't compare to that? Look how he smoulders. LOOK AT HIM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The leather trousers movie makes me sad, too. I went to go see it at the cheap theater with Colin when he was young enough to like Amanda Bynes enough to go see that movie with HIS MOTHER. She was so cute and it broke my heart a little to see her smoking pot in her car alone. Ugh.

    *insert Debbie Downer music*

    On a lighter note, MR. DARCY IS SCRUMPTIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Ron Howard! He is another to add to the list of child stars who grew up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. Also I should add Wil Wheaton.

      Delete
    2. Well, he was a Star Trek kid, so he HAD to turn out okay.

      Delete
  5. There are quite a few that made it to adulthood without anything outside of typical transition experiences, but I'm also not a major consumer of celebrity information, so I might have this wrong!

    Harry Potter cast, The Wonder Years kids, Leondaro Dicaprio, Kirsten Dunst, Neil Patrick Harris, Scarlett Johansen, Elijah Wood and Alyssa Milano are a few that come to mind. The ones who don't make the transition get far more coverage, but there are a fair few who managed to either avoid major dramas or experience them out of the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy to see comments working on my computer this morning! Now if only I could remember the clever comment I was trying so hard to post last week. Well, it was clever, I can tell you that much!

    ReplyDelete