Monday, November 5, 2012

"Knowing me[me], knowing you. It's the best I can do."

Having completely lost the ability for original thought, I'm borrowing a meme from Rachel's blog.

1.Where do you do most of your writing/blogging? 

On the computer. In my living room. In my house. In a town. Surrounded by forests. In the middle of nowhere. In northern British Columbia. In Canada.

2. Favourite book or books from your childhood?

As a young child I read all the Bobbsey Twins books. A few years ago I read several of them aloud to Zarf and Klaxon who shared my enthusiasm. However, I did edit the older versions (from the 1920s) because I was uncomfortable with the portrayals of Sam and Dinah, the African-American couple who live with and work for the Bobbsey family. I would read all their dialogue with a thick Irish accent. "They're Black Irish" I said to my husband when he wondered why Sam and Dinah sounded like leprechauns, thus proving that I'm not averse to being an awful person in the name of humour.

I also enjoyed the Narnia books, everything by Judy Blume, the Henry Reed books, and Encyclopedia Brown.

In the category of Books I Did Not Enjoy: Nancy Drew. Because of the name connection, I had almost the complete series. I read one.

3. Who is your favourite fictional character?

I am fighting the temptation to lie and write the name of a character from a great novel or a famous play that will give the impression that I am extremely erudite. I will squelch my vanity and answer truthfully: Jean-Luc Picard.

4. Have you ever Googled yourself and been shocked at what you found?

Yes, to having googled myself. No, to being shocked by my findings. My surname (both my maiden **HAHAHA** name and married name) are very common. My first name is rare for women of my age, but lots of grannies have it. I checked the first four pages of google hits, and there is nary a mention of me. This is a good thing.

5. What's your favourite time of the day and why?

I love early mornings. Mostly because being awake at that time is a novelty. I'm a night owl by nature.

 6. Who would play you in the movie of your life?

Kristen Schaal.


7. One material possession that you absolutely could not live without?

I'm not comfortable answering this question. What if I answer it and later today lose or break the item? Then I'll feel like the universe is giving me some horrible message.

I am, however, inordinately fond of my elliptical trainer. A month ago it quit working for 30 minutes and I was feeling quite desperate since I consider my daily 40 minute workout my "Me" time. But low-and-behold I found the maintenance manual and got the blasted thing to work. Crisis AVERTED.

8. Have you ever been naked in public?

Good God, NO! I'm Diane Keaton-esque when it comes to showing skin.

9. What is your dream car?

I'm torn between KITT from Knight Rider or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Or a Prius.

º º º º º º º º º º º

Now do you feel like you know me better?

12 comments:

  1. Oh, the Bobbsey Twins. How I loved those books! I totally did not understand the Sam and Dinah thing until I was an adult. The idea of having black servants, or servants at all, was so foreign it just did not compute.

    My favourites were the ones where they went to the farm (too much sugar in the ice cream, oh noes) and the one where they went to Africa and met giraffes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Canada! I just three posts about Vancouver! www.alwaysoverthinkingit.com

    Kristen Schaal is the best. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The phrase "Diane Keaton-esque" helps confirm my suspicion that if it weren't for geography, you and I would be very good friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I wrote that line and thought "is that a completely vague reference no one will get?" I know too that if we lived closer we'd get on very well. Even though I didn't recognize your husband's Halloween costume until my husband explained it to me.

      Delete
  4. You did not answer number ten - your first kiss??? Blume is just the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the Bobbsey Twins too! And yes I do feel like I know you better now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate the word 'meme' too, mostly because I can never figure out how to pronounce it - I've heard it rhymed with cream and them and I think when I googled it I didn't get a straight answer either. I read all those books and loved them, BUT I also loved Nancy Drew until I went to visit my one-year-older (therefore infinitely wiser and able to crush me with a look) cousin in Saskatchewan and she said snootily "Oh I HATE those books - she's too unrealistically perfect at everything" and ever after I hated them too. My cousin was kind of a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought I commented here, but maybe I just wanted to and then never got to it? Because I do stuff like that all the time ..
    Anyway, loved reading this about you. I will be stealing it myself =)
    And lol'ing on the "Oh good god no!" because that would be my answer precisely! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the Bobbsey Twins when I was a kid and bought a whole set for my own children a couple years ago. And then I was completely taken aback at all the racial-y things and put them away, flummoxed about what to do. An Irish accent did not occur to me.

    Also, I think Meme should be pronounced me-me because they are always all about me-me-ME!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad to discover there is no consensus about the pronunciation of "meme." I thought it was mem-EE until a month ago when Jon Stewart said it as meem, so that it rhymed with beam, seam, team, etc. I felt like a fool for mentally mispronouncing it for years. "Mentally" because I have actually never said the word out loud. Now I feel better about myself.

    ReplyDelete