Thursday, November 22, 2012

Love Me(me) Tender.

Last time I blogged a meme there were comments left on the post and on twitter about the term "meme." The consensus is that no one likes the word, and very few know how to say it. I appreciate the last bit. Last month I heard Jon Stewart say is as "meam" (rhymes with beam or seam), and until then I thought it was said "mem-EE." I felt like a moron, but your comments made me feel better about not knowing how to say this ridiculous made-up word. Nobody knows!

I'm not going to let my inability to pronounce "meme" stop me from doing them. Like this one I'm stealing from Rachel's blog1:

These Go To Eleven:

1. First crush - who and would you now?
Luke Skywalker (aka Mark Hamill) as he looked in A New Hope. The feeling has definitely abated.

2. Most expensive single thing you have bought except houses/cars.
An elliptical trainer. I am one of those rare people who actually uses their exercise equipment so it's okay.

3. Your first memory.
When I was 3 (maybe 4?) my mom would leave loaves of bread to rise on top of our HUGE floor model television set. I remember one time my brother and I were watching All In The Family and I kept running up to peek underneath the tea towel and pitch off bits of dough.

4. What was your best subject at school?
Social Studies.

5. Have you had your 15 minutes of fame yet?
No. Thank heavens.

6. Golden balls - would you split or steal?
I have no idea what these are. Is it a Harry Potter thing?

7. What's your favourite film of all time? I'll allow you two!
This is a tough one because I can't limit myself to just two. There are so many movies I love to watch over and over. Huh. How about:
                            Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan 
                            Star Trek 2009 (the reboot version)



Slight aside: this weekend I watched The Decoy Bride. It's a very cute movie.

8. Have you ever told a white lie - only to be found out?
Yes.

9. Most romantic gesture you have given/received.
Once my husband hired a skywriter to fly over our house and write "We Really Aren't Fans of Grand Romantic Gestures and This Is a Total Lie." in great big, fluffy letters. True story.

(Please refer back to Question 8 at this time.)

10. Do you like Marmite?
No. But if we are comparing weird foodstuff that we like that others abhor, I will offer up: mustard pickles.

11. What's your favourite joke?
In 1999 my husband and I camped over night in Stewart, British Columbia. In the morning we rented bikes and pedalled down the highway to the town of Hyder, Alaska. As we approached the US-Canada border I yelled out "Hi there, Alaska!" in a very thick Newfoundland accent so it sounded just like "Hyder, Alaska." Then I laughed myself silly because I thought it was such a clever thing to do.

My husband did not laugh.

For the past 13 years I have randomly yelled out "Hyder, Alaska!" in my Newfoundland accent. I will continue to do this until my husband concedes it is high comedy.

• • • • • • • •
  1 Here are the rules for this meme:

- Every tagged person has to tell 11 things about themselves 
- Answer the 11 questions from the person who tagged you 
- List 11 questions for the folk you are going to tag, and they should have fewer than 200 followers if possible 
- Don't back-tag.

Uh. No. I'm not tagging anyone. Feel free to volunteer. I'm not going to make up 11 new questions. The ones set by Rachel are very good. Just use those.

4 comments:

  1. I always thought it was pronounced to rhyme with beam and then someone pronounced it like it rhymed with them and I felt like a moron. I think someone invented the word JUST TO MAKE US FEEL LIKE MORONS, NAN! I loved your romantic gesture one. And I burst out laughing just imagining you yelling Hyder, Alaska, so tell your husband (I did just type you're husband and thought I might leave it for a joke, but then I got scared that I really might be losing my ability to distinguish and it seemed more tragedy than comedy) he's just totally wrong on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dere. Alaska.

    I might tag myself!

    I think I've had my fifteen minutes of fame, but in a very lame way. Who wants to be famous anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea how to say it either and always get it wrong so avoid saying it aloud.

    I like #11. I would have laughed. Shoula married me, I guess.

    http://truthfully.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just discovered you via Bibliomama (thanks!), and you are immediately getting a (highly-sought-after, since I was forced to pare it down) position on my blog reader. I can't imagine how I lived without you for this long.
    "For the past 13 years I have randomly yelled out "Hyder, Alaska!" in my Newfoundland accent. I will continue to do this until my husband concedes it is high comedy." had me doing things I usually just SAY I'm doing with abbreviations, like LOL.
    Good luck on getting the recognition you sorely deserve. Families are the last to appreciate the truly great.

    ReplyDelete