Sunday, November 11, 2012

Poppies Grow.


In Flanders fields the poppies blow 
Between the crosses, row on row, 
That mark our place; and in the sky 
The larks, still bravely singing, fly 
Scarce heard amid the guns below. 

We are the Dead. Short days ago 
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, 
Loved and were loved, and now we lie, 
In Flanders fields. 

Take up our quarrel with the foe: 
To you from failing hands we throw 
The torch; be yours to hold it high. 
If ye break faith with us who die 
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow 
In Flanders fields. 
-Lt. Colonel John McCrae 1915

 • • • • • • • 

It was -8ºC this morning at 11 AM when we attended our town's Remembrance Day ceremony. We stomped our feet and tucked our chins into the collars of our winter jackets and shivered for 30 minutes.

Walking back to the car Klaxon said, "My toes are freezing. I bet I have trench foot now." It wasn't the most sensitive of comments but it was nice to see that something of our recent unit study on WWI and WWII had sunk into his brain. 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's a 2 minute drive from our house -- that makes it easier, I'm sure. Then afterward everyone goes for free cocoa at the Legion!

      Delete
  2. I do love your Remembrance Day posts. I sold paper poppies for the Legion Auxiliary as a girl and it always reminds me of that and of my grandmother. If you didn't know it yet, I'm a very selfish blog reader and relate everything to MYSELF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not a selfish ANYTHING, Melanie. I'm curious about the paper poppies, are they still sold in the US? I thought it was now just a UK and Canadian thing.

      Delete