Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Warp Speed Wednesdays: The Christmas Gift List Edition.


Last year Beck from This My New Blog was harangued into posting graciously hosted a serious of gift idea lists composed by bloggers. I had a lot of fun with my list, and decided I would do another this year. Instead of forcing Beck to fix all my coding errors and punctuation goofs, I'm going to post it here:

Gift Suggestions for the Trekkie who…

…loves the cold despite being a pink skin: an Andorian toque


Available on Etsy. 


I have one of these! It's brilliant.

Available on Amazon and other places.


…wishes they could hang out in one of Quark's holosuites: "This One's from the Heart" by James Darren, aka Vic Fontaine from Deep Space Nine.


Available on iTunes. And Walmart. And Zellers.  London Drugs, maybe? Uh...where ever it is people buy cds these days. Do people buy cds anymore?


…aspires to be a Star Fleet captain: Gobblet a two-person game that fosters strategic thinking and creative problem solving. Players must sacrifice some pieces in order to attain final victory. Hence it is exactly like the Kobayashi Maru.

Available at Lee Valley Tools.


…wears dress shirts with french cuffs: thematic cuff links.


Available everywhere.

What the hell?

Trekkies tend to be of the superhero-t-shirts-and-beige-Levi's-corduroy-pants fashion aesthetic, so it makes no sense that there are dozens and dozens of styles of Star Trek cuff links on the market. I suspect these are bought by brides as gifts for grooms who are disappointed that they can't have a full-on Star Trek theme wedding.


Well-played, brides.


…reads the Awesome Adventures of Sparks McGee tumblr: gift them a copy of Wil Wheaton's Just a Geek: Unflinchingly honest tales of the search for life, love, and fulfillment beyond the Starship Enterprise

Available places where old-fashioned paper books are sold and on the internets, too.


…supports gay rights: a selection of It's Okay to Be Takei branded gear.




…values old school Klingon/Romulan aggression: Sometimes the original Settlers of Catan isn't geeky enough. That's when you pull out the Star Trek version!

Available in lots of places, just google it yourself, okay? I'm too lazy.


 …has memorized all the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition and wants practice applying them: there are several Star Trek editions of Monopoly:





Available no place that my husband shops, so he should definitely not buy me one.

…has the body and the self-confidence to carry off Orion Slave Girl cosplay: green body paints. Lots and lots of it. 






…says "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." frequently: a nice box of Earl Grey tea from a reputable purveyor of tea.

Available at Murchie's and other places where old ladies in tweed skirts shop.


…is called Nan and writes this blog: a Spock hoodie.


Women's sizes are available at Her Universe. Actually, I'd be happy with anything off that site, Mr Wrath. Hint. Hint. 

Merry Christmas!

• • • • • • • • •

If you're looking for gift giving inspiration or a hearty belly laugh, than you need to read Beck's annual analysis of Teh Oprah's Gift Guide

9 comments:

  1. I love that pizza cutter. Almost inspires me to start making pizza again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good point about the cufflinks. And I don't want to sound racist, but I don't think anybody looks good totally green. Gobblet sounds really interesting and I profoundly hope I never have to play it. I prefer to solve my problems as uncreatively as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I know what to get you for Christmas! Last year I was in Hallmark and I saw SO MANY Star Trek tree decorations, and I thought of you. This post is inspiring me to get my post done! Eee! I would have done it this morning but I was too busy going to Superstore and buying wine by the case. I also found out, disturbingly enough, that Superstore has "No-Name" wine. Eeeewwwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great gift ideas.We can also get varaiety of Christmas Gifts and Newyear Gifts at here......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. My. Heavens. This is the first time I've heard of Her Universe. Now I must shop there. PROBLEM.

    Thanks for the link :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Andorian toque. And what a very, very special person it was who bought you that pizza cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that Andorian toque! And that pizza cutter? It must have been a very, very special person who got that for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Yes, a very special person did buy me the pizza cutter! It combines three of my favourite things: Star Trek, foods covered in cheese and YOU!

      Delete