Thursday, January 31, 2013

On This, The Last Day of January...

For the last ten days I've been malingering. Every night I go to sleep expecting to wake up with a full-on head cold, but that never happens. Instead I'm stagnating, feeling run down and ache-y, but not so much that I can justify opting out of chores, school or activities. This partly explains why I thought today was Friday.

Now apropo of nothing...

Our freezer is almost completely empty. I'm ridiculously happy about this, because my daily mission for January was to use up two items from the freezer or the pantry. We did really well and all that's left is a few bags of fruits, vegetables and french fries, 6 jars of honey (the honey is my husband's and I have no idea why he stores it in there), a pork roast and some soup bones for Fogo. That's it. Mind you we've had some strange meals (ie reheated curried turkey sausage soup with french fries, perogies and peas) and some brilliant ones (ie Bo Kho, a Vietnamese Beef Stew with Tomato, Star Anise and Lemongrass with rice). Our grocery bill was comfortingly small for January, though I suspect it will be a doozy for February.

But we've got a goal in mind to help keep us motivated to scrimp and save: Costa Rica. Mr SeƱor Wrath has been before and is keen to return.  I'm in as long as we get to see whales or turtles. The boys are using R.E.A.L. Homeschool Spanish and are excited to  use their lessons.

Anyone else want to come with us?



8 comments:

  1. Omg yes, I want to come! This lousy winter weather has had me dreaming for an exotic vacation. Ziplining and white water rafting through the Costa Rican rainforest? Yes please.

    Although I guess those things will probably have to wait until I'm not knocked up anymore. Psh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swimming with the turtles was one of my grandson's favourite things about being in Barbados. He was 6 on his first visit so being able to go barefoot most of the time and peeing in the sea were pretty high up on his list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pick me! Oh. It wasn't some kind of contest, sigh. I could stare at that first shot all day...enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to go!! We just found out we're going to Boston in March, which is exciting, but NOT warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! So exciting! Those pictures are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother-in-law has been going to Costa Rica for as long as I can remember, and she LOVES it. Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe all these people are driveling on about Costa Rica when OBviously the real cause for excitement here is that YOU EMPTIED YOUR FREEZER. I mean, I can go to Costa Rica pretty much any time, but the only way my freezer ever seems to get empty is when I chuck everything in it in the garbage, which makes me feel like a failure as a human being.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me! me! Pick me!!
    What? Oh never mind. Have a fantastic time and post pics that the rest of us can stare at with envy ;)

    ReplyDelete