Thursday, February 28, 2013

My Self-Inflicted Blogging Challenge.

I struggled with blogging this month. Not because I lacked for things to blog about. Rather because it takes so much time for me to compose posts. I need to stream line the creative process or this blog is going to die.

Often I'm inspired and start composing posts only to get bogged down in the minutiae of explaining my opinions extremely precisely so that no reader could miss (either by honest ignorance or willful thickness) the needle sharp point I am making.  It's the same self-defense mechanism that my brain defaults to when I find a penny and attempt to make a wish, but get sidelined trying to anticipate any  potential loopholes:
I hope that no one I love -- at present or in the future -- should ever have anything bad -- and by this I mean something really big and awful and painful, not some small and trivial hiccup that's actually an opportunity for personal growth -- happen to them during their entire natural lifespan -- somewhere between 85 and 102 years -- and I want us all to have enough money -- not so much money that we come showboating assholes like the Kardassians, just a normal upper class income amount of money -- to live life to the fullest -- but not so full that we get caught up in status and lose sight of the important things like eating dinner as a family or having time to go canoeing or watching Top Gear -- and appreciate our blessings, and also I wish that Fogo -- the dog, not the island off the coast of Newfoundland where my dad grew up -- would stop digging holes in the backyard.

Hence I'm giving myself a challenge. I will blog every day in March. First drafts of the post must be completed with 10 minutes, edits can be another 5 minutes, and googling and posting an illustrative photo of Benedict Cumberbatch should take another 5 minutes.

Whenever I'm struck for inspiration, I'm going to pick one of these topics



This page is from a Language Arts workbook the boys own and I thought it would be fun to use it here. Lest I just wind up posting photos of my pets and Benedict Cumberbatch for 31 days straight. Huh. Now that I think about it that doesn't sound so bad...hmmm...

My allotted ten minutes is up, so I will end with a picture of myself from last weekend when the family went snowshoeing:


15 comments:

  1. That is a great shot, you and the waterfall look lovely. I like your idea a lot and the writing ideas is great...one of my girls teachers did that for them to keep in their journals for inspiration. What a treat for me...lots of posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The waterfall was lovely. I was surprised that it was still running. And the water was mighty cold -- or so says someone who is not me who fell into the water right after he took this photo.

      Delete
  2. You are so SPORTY! In real life, I would find you terrifically intimidating, you know. If it was a picture of ME snowshoeing, my face would be all distorted and red from the crying.

    I'm particularly looking forward to your posts on "Your nose" and on "Bananas." Gold, Nan, GOLD! And what IF honeybees were as big as elephants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the honeybee/elephant topic is probably better suited to one of your scary stories. They generally leave my face all distorted and red from crying.

      Delete
  3. I think this is a great idea and you have inspired me to POST in March. Not every day, just A day. I missed February completely and have really slowed to a stop over at my place. I've been contemplating what to do with the dusty old blog, I'm so addicted to instagram and the ease with which I can just post a quick pic and caption that I rarely write anything anymore!

    I am so looking forward to your daily posts, I so enjoy your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. That picture of you?! You look amazing! Your legs!!! You need to blog about your work out regimen so I too can be fit like Nan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's genetics, I think. Also a great deal of dog walking. And thanks! That's very nice.

      I'll try and hunt you down on instagram. I don't have an account, but I do like seeing slices of peoples lives.

      Delete
  5. Hello lovely lady! What a pretty picture, both of you and of the waterfall! I am excited about your blogging challenge, I shall look forward to reading all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I'm writing this comment on day 4 and all ready have pangs of fear. What madness is this?!

      Delete
  6. I just have to say that from these comments, you have hilarious friends!! Love it!! Go girl~!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are pretty amusing too, Char!

      Delete
  7. That is a great picture. To close the blogging karma circle, I will comment on every one of your March posts. Hopefully in under ten minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I won't hold you to it. But I will be bitter if you don't.






      More bitter.

      Delete