Tuesday, March 12, 2013

And They're Coming Down the Stairs.



I have chosen the topic of…

BANANAS!


• • • • • • • • • 


I love bananas. 

"Doesn't everybody love bananas?" some of you may now be wondering. Well, no. My 11 year old does not like bananas. When he was two, Zarf went through 6 months of...well, let's just say "gastro-intestinal issues" that left him anemic. He was prescribed a daily dosage of a strong, liquid iron supplement. On the advice of the pediatrician I gave it to him in a banana, soy milk smoothie every day with lunch. He never balked at drinking those smoothies that smelt of wet pennies and mushy bananas. Eventually his iron levels reached normal and his issues resolved themselves and our habit of daily smoothies ceased. 

It wasn't until last year that I figured out that this might be the reason Zarf hates bananas and why if offered a smoothie he will only accept if it comes with a banana-free guarantee. He does eat banana bread, but only if there are chocolate chips in it, and there are no other treats handy.

For his part, Klaxon loves bananas. This is just one example of how opposite my children are, especially about food. Klaxon loves craisins and hates raisins. Zarf hates craisins and loves raisins. Klaxon loves yogurt. Zarf will eat yogurt only in raita-form as an accompaniment to barbequed lamb or beef. Klaxon doesn't like nuts, Zarf loves them. Klaxon won't eat corn on the cob or apples that aren't sliced. Zarf? Naturally he's a fan of both.  Zarf loves chocolate and hates peanut butter. Klaxon loves peanut butter and is developing a taste for chocolate though more often than not, he'll announce, "This is a bit rich for my tastes."

Six years ago I followed a recipe on Bub & Pie's old blog (and omigod! Look at the comments! All our now-defunct blogs and assorted aliases!) thinking it would be a lovely compromise. Instead they both sobbed at how I'd ruined their day by mixing peanut butter AND chocolate TOGETHER. They were only 3 and 5 at the time, but even then they were stubborn as the day is long. 

I wonder where they get that from? 


13 comments:

  1. Ha, I love how different they are. That is one thing I look forward to about having this kid (and future ones... maybe). I just can't wait to see what a little person he'll be. I know I'll have some influence but ultimately they are who they are. I can't wait to see who exactly that turns out to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited for you! A BABY! A WELL NAMED BABY! Whose gastro intestinal issues will preoccupy your brain for years to come.

      Delete
  2. Do you think by having two kids, there is a natural yin/yang balance thing going on? My kids are much the same, often choosing what the other will not tolerate. When one is grumpy, the other often acts with extra kindness (unless they are fighting with each other, of course). If one wants to watch t.v., the other is craving some quiet time. It's almost like having twins in a way, they are always trying to balance the scales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're correct. Particularly since my two are both boys, and close in age and share the same clothing stores, hobbies, tv shows, toys, etc.

      So what's left? Making mom buy soy milk AND 2% milk because we just can't agree on which tastes better on cereal.

      (soy milk tastes better, btw)

      Delete
  3. BUB AND PIE! How I miss Bub and Pie! I missed that recipe though and now am thinking I should make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it. Because I ate all of it except for two overly man handled servings.

      Delete
  4. Bananas are disgusting. The end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't like bananas than you certainly won't enjoy bananas with a side of wet pennies.

      Delete
  5. OH MY GOD THAT RECIPE.

    I didn't know Bub & Pie when that post went up. I can't believe I almost went through life having missed it. Winter is coming back here tomorrow (snow! after a week of melting where the snow was almost gone! NOOOOOOO!!!) and I'm thinking a batch of those bars would be just the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're getting another 15 cm today! So make a tray for me and send them over.

      Delete
  6. Eve will also only accept banana-free smoothies but will eat banana muffins or bread even without chocolate chips. She doesn't like peanut butter either, and will turn down chocolate if it's peanut butter flavoured. I love bananas, but I know a surprising (to me) number of people who hate them - they never struck me as a food that would inspire that passionate a reaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "never struck me as a food that would inspire that passionate a reaction" -- yes to this.

      I also like bananas because they are the least labour intensive, neatest fruit. YES, oranges, with your peel that gets under my finger nails and juice that makes my hands sticky, I'm judging you!

      Delete
  7. I loved bananas until I was two years old and then did not eat another one until I was 32. Something--my mother doesn't remember what, and knowing two year olds it could have been that I hated the shape--set me against bananas and I just haaated them for years. What turned me around was being five months pregnant, at work, with no food, starving, and my co-worker offering me a banana. DESPERATE, I ate it. They're not my favourite fruit now, but they're certainly in rotation.

    My kids have a more straightforward savoury/sweet thing going on. One picks ice cream for dessert, the other picks Doritos. One is like his father, and one is like me in this regard.

    ReplyDelete