Saturday, March 23, 2013

Colour. Not Color.


Ezri approves of the new walls around the kitchen stairwell. (Especially this shade of beige, "Pale Gingerbread." It coordinates perfectly with her fur. Mr Wrath is currently painting some of the new walls in a shade that I describe as "robin's egg blue with undertones of grey." Home Hardware calls it "Herbal Wrap." This makes no sense. That name evokes browns or greens, not blue. I would call this "Ezri's eye colour" or "Robin's Egg Grey" or....huh...actually, it's kind of hard to think up paint names.  Who knew?! Now I feel badly for being churlish with Home Hardware's paint department. Maybe they should outsource the task to Laura. Her paint names are so evocative.)   

I approve of the new light fixture. (Especially because Klaxon -- age 9 -- picked it out. It's meant to be an exterior fixture, but it's well suited to that wall. If it gets knocked by someone carrying something large or unwieldy up or down the stairs, the CFL bulb won't shatter and poison us with minute levels of mercury. Not that this was Klaxon's reason for choosing it. Instead he picked it because it matched the aesthetic of the Enterprise in the series reboot. In particular, the engine room which has an industrial feeling that is also reminiscent of a submarine. Or so he says.)

• • • • • • • 

For day 23 I went promptless.


7 comments:

  1. I like it. Robin's egg blue is my very favourite colour, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colour not color indeed!!! Well I was just "tickled pink" (excuse the pun) that you mentioned me in your colour article. If Home Hardware is looking for a line of new snidely named colours then I'm up for the job! So funny you mentioned that your wall colour is robins egg blue with grey undertones as I have just finished painting a series of song bird eggs and so I can tell you that is the exact colour of a Missel Thrush egg! Of course the Missel Thrush egg also involves some grey brown speckles, but the main body colour is bang on with your description of the alleged "Herbal Wrap". Wow I am really quite excited about this analogy.... so much so that here is the link to see a picture of a Missel Thrush egg: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mistle_Thrush_Nest_18-03-12_(6848183196).jpg.

    Tell Klaxon I like the light fixture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the sentence before the link came out unintentionally like William Shatner said it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the post, the picture, the light fixture, that you let Klaxon pick it, how Laura's link came out and what she said about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hope Wesley turns out as cool as Klaxon and will pick a light fixture based on some sort of Star Trek criteria. I will consider myself a successful mom if so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colour!! And, seriously, these are my new decorating criteria: Star Trek and cat-matching. Glad to have found you. (will keep you posted if my husband is as happy when I hand pass the paint brush)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh phew. I had a horrible, paralyzing wide-awake 3am epiphany that maybe, just maybe, I wrote Star *Wars* above. And the dread would not go away. Because my brain has weird ideas of 'horrible' at 3am.
    Yeah. I need to change my pre-bed snacking habits...

    ReplyDelete