Thursday, March 14, 2013

Il Papa.

My 20-minute March challenge marches on -- Day 14!
• • • • • • • • •

Yesterday on twitter it quickly became apparent who was:
1. a practicing Catholic,
2. a lapsed Catholic,
3. a member of another Christian denomination,
4. a member of another one of the world's five religions,
5. a lapsed member of another faith, or
6. completely unfamiliar with any type of religious or spiritual practice, but still watching the Vatican conclave and feeling they had something pertinent to add.

For the record, all tweets but those authored by #6 were of interest to me. For the record, I'm a #2.

I did tweet that everything I knew about papal conclaves came from reading Dan Brown's Angels and Demons. This wasn't strictly true, because 12 years of Catholic school and approximately 20 years of weekly attendance at mass has left me with more than a passing knowledge of church doctrine and procedure. Nonetheless, I was disappointed that Robert Langdon didn't jump from a helicopter just as a bomb detonated above Rome and then proceed to parachute to safety by holding on to a piece of canvas fabric. As an aside: even within the context of a thriller, that plot sequence is ridiculous.  But I'm happy that Pope Francis is a Jesuit (who rides the bus!). Also happy -- and totally not surprised -- that Il Papa is from South America, since it along with Pacific Rim nations are growth areas for the church. Personally I was hoping for Tagle.

Or even better: Father Ralph.





13 comments:

  1. Father Ralph. DREAMY. Now there's a guy worth converting for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was in high school our parish FINALLY got a priest under the age of 50. He was about 22 and my girlfriends and I called him Father Ralph behind his back

      Delete
  2. You totally called the South American thing! As soon as I heard the news I thought of you. My husband - a lapsed Catholic - was equally interested in the new pope and also the trade of Wes Welker to the Denver Broncos. EQUALLY IMPORTANT INFORMATION IN HIS BOOKS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upon hearing the news about Wes Welker did your husband google the man's name in conjunction with the words "sex scandal," or "affliation with Nazi Party" or "economic reform Vatican Bank." Because that's what I did! With the Pope that is -- because these are really the issues that are most pressing in my mind when it comes to the Pope. Also "is the mitre the best of all pope headgear?"

      Delete
  3. I totally blanked out on the Pope thing. I was getting drunk with my friend at her house when my husband dropped by and told us who it was. I'm a lapsed Catholic with huge issues about the Catholic church that tend to blindside me at odd times and send me into denial about the whole thing the rest of the time. There was a hunky priest at Christ the King in Sudbury when I lived nearby. He left the priesthood and got married and I was so glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I identify myself as a Cultural Catholic -- I really can't get away from this part of my personal identity. I do have issues with the Catholic church. I recognize that it's flawed and disconnected from many of the issues that western European and North American's care about (ie gay marriage equality and female clergy), BUT I still hope that Pope Francis can affect other reforms, ie overhauling the Vatican Bank, and ensuring that pedophile priests are prosecuted.

      I think it's sweet that your hunky priest found his Meggy.

      Delete
  4. Father Ralph FTW! Yes!
    I'm number 3 (and 4) and technically don't care, but because I love medieval things and because NPR covered the heck out of it, I find myself knowing quite a bit about this new guy. I like his name and like that he's from the Americas. I hope he continues as he's begun, even though I don't really care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True story: I was more invested in the appointment of People's Sexiest Man Alive than the election of Pope Francis. I am a horrible person!

      Delete
  5. Yesterday I saw a picture of white smoke in the PG Citizen. I admit I was not raised within any sort of religion and had to be told who Judas was when I went to see the play Jesus Christ Super Star put on by a local high school when I was a teenager. To that effect if Keenan had not informed me of the special room they all deliberate in and the coloured or white smoke business I simply would have thought someone was doing an article on a up and coming crematorium. Whoops. I am looking at # 5 and seeing if I can name them all??? My family taught me more about astrology and surviving in the wild off edible plants.... if you were not already wondering, yes my parents were Hippies at one point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it sounds to me like you might enjoy a nature walk I'm facilitating for Aboriginal Day in June exploring medicinal herbs in our area.

      White smoke -- it's old timey instant messaging!

      Delete
  6. Hm, I wonder what you would guess about me based on my tweets. I didn't actually pay that much attention to the choosing of a new pope ahead of time because I knew it would be ALL OVER as soon as it was done. Social media has made me so lazy about the news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that so many people (especially on Twitter) paid attention to it. Especially non-Catholics. But I guess it's kind of akin to me paying attention to American Presidential politics, even though I'm Canadian.

      Delete
  7. I am a public school teacher who works at a Catholic school in the afternoons (as a special ed teacher for the district) so being at a Catholic school on the day a new pope was announced was quite educational for me. I had no idea it was such NEWS.

    ReplyDelete