Monday, March 18, 2013

Sleep.



This is post #18.

• • • • • • • • • • • • 


Last night I slept down in the guest room. This is because my cold has now reached the "hacking up a lung" stage, while my husband's cold is still in its infancy.  Yesterday, despite malingering, he managed to paint the new stairwell AND clean the bathrooms AND shovel the driveway. My accomplishments: hang up five pictures in the guest room, mend a set of pillow cases, bake Irish soda bread, cook stew, watch Murder, She Wrote and write a blog post. Damn -- I'm lazy.

But I digress.

I decided to sleep in the basement so he could sleep in our bed without my deep, chesty cough that sounds like a seal in heat (or so I assume) waking him up. Fogo had other plans, however.  Twice in the night she woke him up to be let out due to "intestinal issues." My sleep wasn't particularly restive but followed the same pattern as it has every night for the eight days. Fall asleep until about 3 AM. Wake up desperate to pee thanks to drinking hot lemon and tea constantly during my waking hours. Drift in and out of consciousness for several more hours, never achieving REM sleep, coughing and blowing my nose periodically. Then at 5 AM, the cats (sensing that I'm sort of awake) start agitating to be fed. In Ezri's case: by sitting next to me and purring loudly. Osiris prefers sniffing my open mouth or sitting on my chest glaring menacingly.

WHY DO WE HAVE SO MANY ANIMALS?!?!

All the same it was nice to wake up and look around the recently painted guest room. We did a great job purging the room of extraneous stuff. I am ridiculously happy that our bookcases look like this:



Of course, the ones in the family room (which also houses our homeschool nook) are bursting.

It's got me thinking that we should makeover our bedroom.

But first I'll need to start sleeping through the night.


11 comments:

  1. Ugh. As soon as Husband or I has disturbed sleep for some reason (cold, stress, kids), one of our cats decides we are AWAKE and should be petting him or paying attention to him. If we don't, he begins yowling. I'd let him shout his head off, but he will wake the kids with his volume, so instead, H and I spend the rest of the night alternately dozing and squirting the cat with a squirt gun and getting no decent rest. Friday night/Saturday morning was just such a night.

    I am asking my friends to remind me of this when these cats pass on and I am sad and thinking about getting more cats. I doubt it will stop me, but it's worth a try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if yowling is more or less worse than a mouth full of cat whiskers. Sure it was startling but it didn't last too long.

      Delete
  2. I just spent a long moment staring enviously at all the space on that top shelf. I keep trying to achieve zero growth in books, but.....

    The fact that you hung, mended, baked AND cooked stuff while sick is pretty freaking impressive, I'd say. My adjectives on a similar day would probably be more like sat, sat, sat and sat on stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even remember which books we got rid of! But yes, it's awfully tempting to fill up that top shelf with the glitter skull.

      Delete
  3. OMG, the spam comment above! That was shocking. NEVER READ THE COMMENTS.

    I agree with Allison - that is still pretty impressive, especially while coughing up a lung. My mending capabilities are non-existent, so I think that's the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That spam comment was so graphically vile and yet at the same time like poem! A haiku of rudeness! Composed by a sex offender.

      Delete
  4. GAAAAA I get those kinds of spam comments occasionally - very rarely - it's reminding me why I moderate comments. EWWWWWW.

    Ahem.

    Why *do* we have so many animals? A phrase I yell at least once a week. Honestly, I am tired of pets. I love my dog but I'm not a good dog owner because I don't have the time and mental energy to dedicate to him any more. And my cat is just a chest-sleeping sweater-picking half-full-bowl-of-food-rejecting nuisance.

    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I moderate comments on posts older than a week. But with my increased posting comes increased spamming. Yikes. That one was particularly rude.

      I can't imagine ever NOT owning pets. I don't know. It's just stuck deep in my head that pets = a home. But this is it. We're done ADDING animals to the brood.

      Delete
  5. SEAL IN HEAT!!! AHHHHHAAAAAAAAAHAA.

    um, hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cough is so loud I fear one of my brethern will come after me with a hakapik.

      Delete
  6. So glad you got rid of the spam comment - beyond disgusting.

    As to pets - PROMISED myself no more after my last cat but didn't count on being adopted by a cat that was abandoned when its owners moved. Then she had kittens and couldn't find a home for one. So now have two - really really really won't have more when Chica and Butch no longer share my home. I hope.

    ReplyDelete