Thursday, March 7, 2013

Unsprung.


• • • • • • • • • • • 

Today was the last day for hip hop dance class. On Sunday cross-country ski practice is done. Monday the boys swim club wraps up. Same for my Disco Fit class. Thursday the last speed skating practice will be marked with a snacky-appy potluck. The boys' musical theatre group will continue for another month as they rehearse for a community performance.

When I list off these activities to other parents I feel a smidge defensive. We homeschool, I say, it's really important that the kids get out of the house for social interaction! And exposure to communicable diseases! And the chance to be taunted or teased by their peers!  I'm not one of those loopy over scheduling moms! I'm outsourcing fine arts and physical education curriculum to professionals! I'm not made of money, the kids get government funding for these activities! I don't actually LOVE spending my afternoons at the rec centre!

Local groups and clubs are coordinated to end when the town's public schools get their two-week long spring vacation. The irony being that it's not actually spring here, or in many parts of Canada. We're in the dregs of that most dreaded of seasons: The Melting. All the pretty snow is covered in filth and grit. Cold winds whip up dust devils. The once frozen dog poop is melting out of the snowbanks. The roads are covered in treacherous layers of ice.

We started homeschooling in 2008 and every year (except last when our dog had died and I was full of despair) I pretend that spring break doesn't exist. This was easier in years past when Zarf and Klaxon were oblivious to the rituals of schools or the schedules of their friends. I like to stick to our normal schedule for studying and appreciate the novelty of not trying to organize meals in between trips to the rec centre for this or that. It's usually do-able when the break is only one week. But a two week span seems daunting. Especially because Zarf is simultaneously physically active and very social -- he will be agitating for us to swim at least twice a week.

And with that my 10 minutes has elapsed. So I leave you without any resolution. Lets pretend this is a metaphor for life.
• • • • • • • • • • •

The Forest of Dean in England. It's so lovely and not beige. 

9 comments:

  1. Ha. That sort of reminds me of how we let our kids discover on their own that not everybody went to school in French. I think all those activities sound great. It seems like they end kind of early in the year, though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the end of winter activities. More will start in the next month. I'll enjoy this lull.

      Delete
  2. Oh, The Melting. I hate The Melting. We are in it now, complete with dog poop - I clean up as much as I can but I can't get it all until the snow melts, yanno?

    Because we live near the coast, The Melting this year is accompanied by The Blowing. So, today is actually sunny, but there is a raw, cold, very strong northeast wind that takes your breath away. Little kids hate that shit, so even though the actual temperature is not really cold at all, we are STILL cooped up indoors because for some reason children under three don't want to play in a wet, muddy, shit-smeared wonderland where they are routinely blown off their feet.

    Punks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I snickered at "punks."

      We're semi-housebound because of the ice. It didn't occur to be to buy kid-sized yak trax!

      Delete
  3. I have never lived anyplace where Spring break is actually in what I'd consider to be Spring. What a boondoggle. A week off in March? Bah. The weather both where I grew up and where I live now in March can best be described as total crap no one wants to be outside in. I guess we are all supposed to have scads of cash so we can vacation in sunny places every year for Spring break? Sadly no. So, oldest goes to some kind of camp all week long and attempts to get enough social contact and exercise in the crappy crappy weather that he's actually tired instead of wound up at the end of the day. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first year I had a blog I saw people posting photos of Easter egg hunts on green grass! I didn't know that happened? I was so jealous.

      The reason for the two week long break is that one week isn't long enough fore people who are travelling. I don't know who these magical rich people are, but I'm not seeing them.

      Delete
  4. The melting isn't happening here. It's the snowing! On the one hand, it's pretty. On the other hand...fuck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also despairing during The Melting, I still force myself to "shuffle" around the block as much as I can to keep my sanity. Though it leaves much to be desired. As I grew up in Victoria, The Melting is a bitter pill to swallow.

    ReplyDelete