Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Warp Speed Wednesday: Cross Over.


My children have learned how to exploit my love of  Star Trek for their own purposes. They will ask to watch a particular show and if I refuse, they will point out that it features an actor from Star Trek. Invariably I cave. Yesterday they were allowed to watch three episodes of iCarly, but only after agreeing to pick ones featuring Principal Franklin. In fact they lied, and only the last episode had more than one scene with Tim Russ, aka Voyager's science officer Tuvok.


This same technique is employed for viewings of Transformers: Prime and Justice League Unlimited which feature the voice work of Star Trek alum Jeffrey Combs (aka Brunt, Weyoun, Shran, Penk and Tiron). I sat through the entirety of Bionicle: The Legend Reborn -- it was awful, by the way -- because I love Michael Dorn's voice. Dorn was also on the animated Superman series. Watching those episodes is no great trial because I like that series. Brent Spiner recently played The Purple Man on The Avengers!

John de Lancie does the voice for Discord on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Sadly the boys will not watch it with me so I have not made it to season 2 where he appears. Maybe I could watch them out of sequence? Why is this only occuring to me now?

I could go on, but my time is clicking down and my bed calls. I will stop my list here with cartoon appearances and carry on  next Wednesday  eventually. I will be blogging about Star Trek regulars appearing on my OTHER favourite sadly-no-longer-in-production-but-thankfully-on-netflix show: Murder, She Wrote. But here's a taste of what's to come:

Levar Burton in the season 3 episode "Death Takes A Dive."


3 comments:

  1. I always geek out when I catch a star trek actor in a show I'm watching. Most recently it was John de Lancie (Q is one of my favorite character btw. Not really sure why) who has a recurring role on Charmed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LeVar's hair should get it's own screen credit.

    The Disney animated series "Gargoyles" was thickly populated with Star Trek actors doing voice work, both as regular characters and guest spots. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gargoyles_cast_members Scroll down to see the "Star Trek connection" section.

    If you've never seen Gargoyles, I highly recommend it. It was dark and complex - great show. My parents used to watch it with my sister and I.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh yes! Gargoyles! I had such a thing for Goliath! Wait, was that out loud?

    ReplyDelete