Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Warp Speed Wednesday: Troi.


Once upon a time Mary commented that Counsellor Deanna Troi was a character that could only appear on a show written and produced in the 1980s. So true. There's no way this Next Generation character would serve on Kirk's Enterprise. He'd be too busy trying to sleep with her and she would constantly pester him to talk about why he feels compelled to sleep with so many alien ladies. Talking about feeeeeeeeeelings wouldn't get her very far with Janeway's crew. Kira Nerys would bean her upside the head with Sisko's baseball. And Archer? Well, quite frankly Archer would talk her ear off about his long-dead, be-sainted father who didn't love him enough.

In addition to her love of talking about feeeeeelings and sensing feeeeeeelings, Deanna Troi is also well known for her quintessential 1980s fashion sense. Her hair! Her dresses! They're amazing. They give me feeeeeeeeelings.


It takes a truly ugly, shiny, assymetical, mullet dress to detract from Riker's blouse and his high waisted pleated slacks. Well-played, Troi!

Of all Deanna's many looks the one from the premiere episode remains my favourite:


I read online (and now I can't find the source, sorry) that this is only episode where Marina Sirtis didn't wear a hairpeice. That hair is all hers -- that's pretty amazing. To me.

I also prefer Deanna in the mini-dress uniform from Encounter At Farpoint:


But looking at her hair and many, many outfits is a good way to pinpoint when an episode aired and what was the current fashion at that time.










So which is your favourite look?

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • 

This is post #20.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, Troi. My family used to watch TNG together, and there is at least one episode where two opposing diplomats (I think) are arguing - violently - and she uses her Wacky Powers to say "I'm sensing some hostility here". Hilarity ensued and to this day it's what we say when some family member gets crotchety.

    As for her look, I actually liked it when she got promoted to bridge officer and started wearing the standard-issue uniform with her hair down and loose. Sexy AND capable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes -- the story arc where she takes command training was really good.

      Delete
  2. I like her original look and the second from last picture. The one of her in the water reminds me of Cher - pre plastic surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always liked Troi. I though she was pretty and had a cool accent. I always did sort of think she had a lot of influence for someone that didn't seem to have a set job, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see the point of having a ship's counsellor, but I just didn't see why she got to be on the bridge. Her accent is lovely though. Very classy.

      And I love the episodes with her mother!

      Delete
  4. You have excellent taste, Nan. The two you picked are best. But I like all of them except the leotards. I feel like I'm supposed to like it but it's strangely off-putting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard someone say she looked like some kind of inter-galactic cheerleader once. My housemates and I also made fun of how she'd always say something like "I sense you are upset" after someone had smashed a glass coffee table or something. I love her hair, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching the show in reruns over netflix it becomes more obvious that her character was absented from the ship frequently when her empathic abilities weren't conducive to the plot. It feels like cheating.

      Delete
  6. I wish I could combine the hair at the end with the asymmetrical blue dress. Although, her hair is pretty 80's fabulous so it's kind of wrong for me to want to change it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking at the hair again in those last two shots and it looks a lot like Mama Duggar's hair. GAH! Now I want to cry.

      Delete
  7. The asymmetrical blue dress is also my favourite look/season. My husband used to mock the lopsided necklines mercilessly, but I secretly wanted a dress just like that. (Shhh...our little secret.) Although, I did also like it when she was made to wear a standard issue uniform - it was so shocking at first, but then leant her character a lot of legitimacy.

    I am surprised to hear she wore a hairpiece, but looking at these pictures I guess that makes sense - who has that much hair in real life? Also: which episode is that first shot from, with the horrifying purple dress and Riker's blouse outfit? You'd think I'd have outfits like that seared into my memory but I don't recall seeing them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's from Ménage à Troi. It's so wrong that I knew that without having to google.

      I watched an interview with Sirtis where she said that by the end of the series it took longer for her and Gates to get through hair and make up than it took Dorn or Spiner. She's actually very funny and saucy in real life.

      Delete
    2. Oh -- and I think you'll appreciate this.

      Delete