Thursday, April 11, 2013

Éste es número once.

When it comes to Spanish homeschool lessons I try to stray from my comfort zone, aka WORKSHEETS!

Today we practiced counting en español by playing a game of dominoes.  I thought this was rather inspired, especially because I am loathe to pull out the dominoes. It's a time consuming, fussy, and noisy business to get them back in the tin and have the lid fit on.


We bought this set a dozen years ago and only today did it occur to me that it would be completely acceptable and probably preferable to store the tiles in a plastic tub.


Why did this not occur to me earlier?!

• • • • • • • • • • 

Last week I was looking at pinterest when Klaxon wandered by the computer and mused, "That cat has hair like Ishara Yar."

 I think he's right. This cat does bear more than a passing resemblance to Tasha Yar's sister:




4 comments:

  1. How does one play dominoes? I clearly don't know the rule of the game because I always set them up so you could tip them over and so they would do a reverse wave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are actually a whole bunch of different domino games. But here are the basics.

      Delete
  2. I love those moments when you realize you don't HAVE to do something the way you always have. The cat with the hair is kind of freaking me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I look at photos like the well-coiffed cat and I think "Who did this? And why? And if that person had been born a century ago what would have been his/her hobby?"

      I recently stopped folding and sorting the boys' clean clothes. It comes out of the wash and I put it in their bedrooms for them to sort, fold & store. Now I don't yell at them when I see the clothes shoved messily into their drawers. It's been a revelation & it's one less task for me.

      Delete