Saturday, April 6, 2013

Trip.

Today we drove into the big city for shopping. We didn't have any pressing things our to-do list, but I was hankering to get out of town. It's been seven weeks since our last trip. Seven weeks of spring thaw-freeze cycles is hard on the soul. As luck would have it, we timed our drive to coincide with a snowstorm. The drive was pretty, but nerve wracking

We picked up Mr Wrath's birthday present: a Lodge camp dutch oven, aka a cauldron. We checked out beds for the boys and bought none since none were in our budget. I went to a fabric store where I bought a pattern and some fabric for a summer dress -- blind optimism, thy name is Nan. The male members of the family went to the hardware store and the library. Mr Wrath and I got our Starbucks coffee fix and we brought home take out Indian food for dinner.

I also attempted to purchase jeans. First I had to find a pair that fit my stubby legs. Then I had to try on a few pairs to see if that particular store was using vanity sizing or REAL sizing. Next I had to decide if I wanted low-rise, contemporary or classic fit, aka zipper length. Then I rejected numerous styles based on pocket placement, and ass embellishment. Did I want straight leg, boot cut or skinny? Dark wash or light? Faux distressing on the thighs or the butt or uniform colour throughout?

And in the end every single pair -- each one a different brand and a different combination of features -- was saggy in the ass. No jeans for me!


8 comments:

  1. I have the opposite problem - my ass is too big, so I have to find ones that are for curvy gals and still put up with a waist band that's too big around. I hate clothes shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the thing: I don't think my ass is particularly small or flat. But all the pants seemed to have a surplus of fabric in the seat of the pants. I suspect manufacturers are preoccupied with all these other fiddly details and didn't consider that simple component.

      Delete
  2. Ah, vanity sizing. I find the Gap and Old Navy to be the worst for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus they charge a lot of money for jeans that don't last a full year. Which means I have to go through the pain AGAIN before the bitterness has completely faded from memory.

      Delete
  3. I've totally had it with both vanity sizing and the vast array of jeans, none of which seem to fit me properly. That said, it's been a few years since I went jean shopping. The last time I went everything was so ridiculously low rise that I couldn't even contemplate sitting down without flashing the world my underwear. I bought no jeans. I should probably try again now that waistlines seem to be coming back up, but the whole thing just takes more time than I want to spend, particularly since I can't wear jeans to work, so I'm basically going to spend $100 for something I can wear twice a week if I'm lucky.

    Ann Taylor has become totally ridiculous with vanity sizing as well. I buy a lot of work wear there and have for over 10-15 years. My actual size has varied little in the last 15 years and yet, the size of pants I wear there has steadily gone from an 8 to a 4. Listen, I'm not a size 4, I've never been a size 4, and will never be a size 4, just stop Ann Taylor, you are not fooling me. I primarily hate that it makes it so I have to constantly try on clothes before I buy them even if I've bought almost exactly the same piece of clothing in the past. Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd consider giving up on jeans completely if only I could find a pair of yoga pants that didn't give me camel toe.

      SKIRTS IT IS!!!

      Delete
  4. Jeans! Oh the fun...I have been buying mine at Cleo for the past little while, they are not the cheapest but somehow fit me every time. On a side note I cannot believe I missed the entire month of March posts...unreal. I had some laptop issues, then life issues and OMG it seems impossible. I am now off to catch up and despite being a very lousy reader of late...have a stockpile to read is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! You're back! I thought I'd scared/bored you off!

      Delete