Monday, June 24, 2013

Have I crossed the line from optimism into naïveté?

I don't believe that Kanye West and Kim Kardashian have really named their new baby North West. Not because I think they're too smart to use such a stupid name, but because I'm trying to tamp down my natural pessimism. I'm holding onto a ray of hope that good taste and common sense will prevail.

I keep thinking about Britney Spears and her second son's name. Initially the media was reporting his name was Sutton Pierce. Spears and her enablers managers didn't correct the assumption for over a month.  Maybe North West was used as placeholder on the birth certificate? This would make North West a classic case of misdirection. HA! I'll remain in denial about North West until the news is tweeted by either of the parents.

In case you haven't picked up on my tone yet, I don't care for either West or Kardashian. But I still think it's shitty that TMZ got a hold of the birth certificate. If the leak came from a Cedars Sinai employee, I hope they get fired.

When I blogged last week about  baby names, I forgot one other bit of celebrity baby name gossip that's been on my mind: Anna Paquin and Stephen Moyer finally revealed their children's names. After months of sitting on the names and supposedly protecting the twins' privacy, they announced them as part of their promotional work for the new season of True Blood. Privacy, my ass. This was well-handled media manipulation.

The twins are named Poppy and Charlie. I'm never a fan of Poppy -- it's one of those cutesy names that works well for a child or a dog, but not for an adult human. Furthermore Moyer has two children with two previous partners (**cough**): a girl name Lilac, and a son name Billy. Yet another situation where the sons get solid names that won't limit their professional options, and the daughters get cutesy, childish thematic names.

And now for a truly disturbing gif:




9 comments:

  1. You know, I tend to agree with you. I have yet to see either of them or the family actually say that is her name. It's such a ridiculous name, surely too ridiculous to be true. I can almost picture them deciding on leaking it as a joke.

    So Stephen Moyer likes to name all his female babies after flowers, regardless of who the mama is? I've heard of naming traditions, but that's a little much. Jeez.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe Moyer has a type: women who like flowers. Or they're good friends w/ Jamie Oliver (his daughters are Petal, Poppy and Daisy).

      Delete
  2. I want to like Poppy, but it feels a bit too much like what some people call their grandpas. I personally don`t like Lilac, although I like the actual flower. I like Lila. I like Lily. I like Lillian. Lilac, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilac is a lovely flower, and an awful name. All the other variants you listed are superior.

      Delete
  3. Hyacinth. That is the best flower name ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. That is a lovely one. I'm also rather fond of Primrose. The name. I don't know that I've ever seen the flower.

      Delete
  4. I heard/read the rumour some months ago that the spawn of Kimye would be named North and hoped if it was true that the baby would be a boy. Then when the utter stupidity of the name caused the child to be ridiculed at least he could fight back. I'm still voting for Kreacher - because it's very much in keeping with the whole fiasco of their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are my favourite posts...you are so clever...I too choose to believe that North is a red herring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey where is my comment? Dumb comment thing...all I said was I hope, like you that North is some kind of red herring. Apparently though Kris is saying all kinds of stuff about why they chose North...say it ain't so.

    ReplyDelete