Tuesday, August 13, 2013

100 Words That I Sort of Know. But not really.

Carrying on from where I left off:

lugubrious -- sad, depressing. Makes me think of shades of grey. I'm referring to grey colours AND to people who like that book.
Correct!

metamorphosis -- Having reared several batches of Painted Lady caterpillars, this term is familiar to me and my boys. It's a transformative process of maturity.
Correct!

mitosis -- something to do with cells dividing.
Correct!

moiety -- erm…ahh -- well it's a term referring to…okay, FINE. I have no idea.
WRONG! It means "an indefinite portion, part, or share." Right. Okay then.

nanotechnology -- Really, really small things.
Correct! It's "matter on an atomic and molecular scale," ie nanites.



nihilism -- Belief that there is no hope and meaning in our existence. As in, I was an Arts major in university and quickly realized that dating guys who waxed on and on about nihilism left me decidedly nihilistic.
Correct!

nomenclature -- system for assigning names
Correct!

nonsectarian -- not relating to narrow-minded stereotypes or exclusionary ideas regarding other cultures or people or political groups.
Means "Not involving or relating to a specific religious sect or political group." So correct!

notarize -- legally certify a document's authenticity.
Correct!

obsequious -- cringe-worthy fawning manner or attitude.
Correct!

oligarchy -- The current system of governance and power in Russia
While my reference is arguably accurate, it's not actually a definition so I'll rate it as "Wrong!" Here's what it really means:  a government in which a small group exercises control especially for corrupt and selfish purposes."

omnipotent -- as in, if I could join the Q continuum, I would be an all-knowing, all-seeing omnipotent asshole who enjoyed having limitless power.
Correct!

orthography -- making of maps about birds.
WRONG! Obviously. It really means "a standardized system for using a particular writing system (script) to write a particular language."



oxidize -- chemical reaction when something is exposed to oxygen
Correct! 

parabola -- related to the parabolic shape.
Correct!-ish. Because obviously that definition is really only me using my (now rusty) bullshitting skills that I perfected during my university career. It really means:
 a two-dimensional, mirror-symmetrical curve, which is approximately U-shaped when oriented as shown in the diagram, but which can be in any orientation in its plane. It fits any of several superficially different mathematical descriptions which can all be proved to define curves of exactly the same shape.
Riiiiiight. Clear as mud now.

paradigm -- framework for a philosophical debate
Correct!

parameter -- boundaries
Correct!

pecuniary -- punishment
WRONG! It relates to money.

photosynthesis -- plants making their own food from sunlight
Correct!

plagiarize -- passing off someone else's work as your own. 
Correct! This reminds me, I need to blog about how in April I got a woman fired from her public relations job because she was blatantly plagiarizing other people's articles.

plasma -- I know it has two meanings. One related to science and states of matter. The other has a bodily fluid connection
It's two meanings are:
• The clear, yellowish fluid portion of blood, lymph, or intramuscular fluid in which cells are suspended. It differs from serum in that it contains fibrin and other soluble clotting elements.
• An electrically neutral, highly ionized gas composed of ions, electrons, and neutral particles. It is a phase of matter distinct from solids, liquids, and normal gases.
Ergo: WRONG! 

polymer -- synthetic, pliable material
Correct!


precipitous -- on the cusp of something steep
Correct!


quasar -- pulsing spacial object
WRONG! They are "extremely bright masses of energy and light. The name quasar is actually short for quasi-stellar radio source or quasi-stellar object."


quotidian -- something to do with math
WRONG! Common place or ordinary.

recapitulate --  summarize
Correct!


reciprocal -- mutual
Correct!


reparation -- making amends, usually involves financial compensation
Correct!


respiration -- breathing
Correct!


sanguine -- optimistic
Correct! Confession: I'm kind of surprised this word hasn't made the jump to being a proper name. "Apple, Moses and Sanguine Martin" has a lovely ring to it.

soliloquy -- long speeches made in [Shakespearan] plays for the benefit of the audience who will need to see the inner workings of the character's brain in order to follow the plot.
Correct!


subjugate -- undermine, suppress, dominate
Correct!


suffragist -- related to suffrage and the belief that everyone should have the right to vote.
Correct!


supercilious -- looking down upon others. As in, don't be supercilious toward me until you've tried this list yourself.
Correct!


tautology -- Needless repetition of ideas or facts. Saying things over and over again but not adding any deeper understanding to the discussion.
Correct!


taxonomy -- system of classify things in orderly, logical fashion.
Correct!


tectonic -- study of the earth's crust
Means "is concerned with the orogenies and tectonic development of cratons and tectonic terranes as well as the earthquake and volcanic belts which directly affect much of the global population." I guess I'm sort of correct.

tempestuous -- stormy
Correct!


thermodynamics -- heat created by movement.
WRONG! Really refers to "a branch of natural science concerned with heat and its relation to energy and work"

totalitarian -- How I operate my household.
Correct!


unctuous -- how you would describe a salesperson you didn't really trust
Correct!


usurp -- stealing of power
Correct!


vacuous -- hollow, empty
Correct!

vehement -- adament
Correct!

vortex -- swirling vacuum
WRONG! "A place or situation regarded as drawing into its center all that surrounds it."

winnow -- reduce in number. As in, I am winnowing down my readership by writing this massive, dry posts.
Correct!

wrought -- Something to do with iron? Or being too emotional? I have no idea. 
WRONG! Means: Beaten out or shaped by hammering.

xenophobe -- paranoid of strangers or foreigners, gives rise to isolationist tendecncies
Correct!

yeoman -- As in Rand?
WRONG!  Refers to "a free man owning his own farm, especially from the Elizabethan era to the 17th century."

ziggurat --  ancient, middle eastern temple building with terraces and a flat top. Also what I sing on those (mercifully rare) occassions when I hear the Spice Girls' Wannabe song.  "I wanna ha, I wanna ha, I wanna ha, I wanna ha, I wanna really Really really wanna zig-ziggurat!"
Correct!

1 comment: