Thursday, September 12, 2013

Mop Job.

Back in July, this came across my pinterest feed:



Actually, it popped up several times. Was the universe -- or my pin-friends -- trying to send me a message that my house was a tip? Yes, I decided and saved the pin to my desktop, printed off a copy and stuck it to my fridge door. A perusal of my pinterest account indicates that I didn't actually pin it, so I have no idea who originated it.  This is unfortunate, because the creator deserves the credit for helping me finally getting -- and most importantly: keeping -- my house clean.

I am not a clutter bug. I like to have all the horizontal surfaces in my house naked. I find it stressful to have stacks or piles lying about. I throw out, recycle or donate a lot of stuff. The downsides of my willingness to purge are:
- I have a HUGE Oscar the Grouch style trash can in my kitchen that I regularly fill.
- The illusion of order lends itself to an aura of tidiness about my house, but doesn't necessarily translate into cleanliness.

Enter the schedule above.

"Do you wipe the bathroom counters EVERY day?" Zarf asked yesterday. He'd only just spotted the schedule on the fridge, even though it's printed on bright orange paper and there is nothing else hung there. My answer: No, because I honestly don't care about bathroom counters. Baby steps. I am making baby steps toward being a clean freak.

I have made a few amendments. I don't make beds, just my own. The boys have to make their beds if they want to earn computer time. Emptying the dishwasher is also a boy-completed task. I clean out the kitty litter every night. Laundry is really a daily chore.  On Mondays I do the bedrooms, since I'm not entirely sure what "deep vacuum" means in a house without carpet. On that day, beds are stripped and piles (rage inducing piles!) of books, clothes and toys are sorted and returned to their appropriate shelves or bins.

It's been kind of costly becoming neater.

I bought a Swiffer duster and a sweeper. I owned a sweeper when it first came out in Canada, but I have no idea where it wound up. I probably chucked it on a whim after realizing that those disposable clothes are not cheap. Enter pin-spiration round 2: sewing reusable, washable alternatives. I have made five different variations and don't like any. I'm beginning to suspect all are over-engineered. A scrap of jersey knit fabric from an old t-shirt does the trick as well as anything.

My green clean mojo only goes so far. I'm not fucking around with homemade vinegar, baking soda, seltzer, and elbow grease concoctions. Better living through chemistry, as my husband always says. Quicker cleaning, too. Ergo, I have bought many types of cleaning chemical & ruined at least two pairs of pants. Stupid, bleach. 

My mop had to be replaced. This was sad because I love my mop. I bought it in 1999 the first day we owned our first house. It was made in Italy. The mop, that is. The house was made in northern British Columbia. After 14 years -- washing the floors is something I did regularly even pre-cleaning calendar -- it was giving out. The metal shaft was bent & it would sometimes come apart in my hands. The head was wobbly due to long, hard use. When it comes to that mop, I have been a busy beaver1After looking for months, this week I finally found a new model of that brand. YAY!

I want to stress: it is made in Italy. I feel this mitigates my mop love. ITALIAN. See:



Squizzo Panno Giallo. Let's say it all together: Squizzo Panno Giallo! According to my computer's translation app, this means "Squizzo Yellow Cloth." Oh, Italian language, you make everything sound so sexy. Including the phrase "triple action" which when translated into Italian is "triple action." 

There was also a window Squizzo window squeegee (or "seccatoio della finestra" as the sexy Italians like to say) at the store. So I bought it too. My Wednesdays are going to rock from now on. 



• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

1 -- I dedicate this and the previous sentences to Beck and Nicole. They have filthy minds. But very clean homes.

4 comments:

  1. I did not pin that, but it's basically my hausfrau philosophy. I have a very clean house! Also a very filthy mind. Shaft!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only complaint about the chore rotation is who on earth can actually do laundry only once a week? I think prekid days I might almost have made that schedule, but now? Forget it. Just keeping up with the laundry requires me to throw in loads almost every day and then fold once or twice a week. This is somewhat exacerbated by the fact that Oldest has to wear a particular uniform to soccer practice 4x a week, but I bought four shirts, shorts, and pairs of uniform socks and I still end up washing more often.

    I think I will try the bathroom counter wipe down thing, though I intend to do it using bleach wipes. Yes, I know I could make my own bleach spray and rags, bu the bleach wipes are convenient and help me do the job in 2 minutes, so....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all for a "green" clean too but let's get real. Chemicals do it faster, they do it better and they are easier. So I compromise by being 90% good about recycling. Which is a major thing considering where I live it's not unusual to see people throwing bottles (plastic or glass) out the window of a moving vehicle. I do clean all glass surfaces with vinegar/water and a clean white (recycled) cloth and I don't use hot/warm water to wash clothes (saving electricity) and don't use a dryer either. Have to admit not by choice as don't have hot running water except for shower and no dryer either but have access to both through others and don't feel need to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this schedule except for the laundry thing, because yeah - I need to do laundry every day or I very quickly fall behind.

    BUT! With a few little minor tweaks, I think this could work quite well. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete