Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Warp Speed Wednesday. The Great Link.

My 9 year old gives a hearty thumbs up to the audiobook for The Watsons Go To Birmingham - 1963. Only after he sang its praises did I investigate the title. It's very well regarded (it won both a Newbery Honor, the Coretta Scott King Award). I'd chosen it solely on the fact that the narrator is Levar Burton, aka Geordi LaForge from TNG. 





In other Star Trek news...


Why don't I ever get customer service reps well versed in Star Trek? Well played, Mike Mears! After that netflix transcript went viral he agreed to sit for a tv interview. Unbeknownst to Captain Mike The Shat was in the studio. It's a very charming video.

 • • • • • • 

Diane Gabaldon's Outlander is coming to tv, and it has a Star Trek connection. Ronald Moore has written for and executive produced several series and movies in the franchise. Now he's helming the Outlander series for Starz

Yes. Starz. With a -z. 

I'm trying very hard not to let that taint my opinion.

 • • • • • • 


From the Guardian:
Batman's Joker was originally Brad Dourif, not Jack Nicholson, says Dourif.  
Actor, known for his supporting roles in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Lord of the Rings and Childs' Play, says Tim Burton was refused permission to cast him as Batman's nemesis.

Based upon the creepiness Dourif brought to Lon Suder on Voyager, he'd have made an excellent Joker.




 • • • • • • 

I need to take up cross stitch


 • • • • • • 

It is a few months old, but this post discussing Khans [and pros] was very interesting.  This is my favourite point: 

In the original, when the crew of the Enterprise learns they have their hands on Khan Noonien Singh, everyone knows who he is. Kirk, Scotty and even Dr. McCoy all admit to having a certain admiration for the 1990s-era tyrant, at least through the gauzy filter of history.  

In Star Trek Into Darkness no one has ever heard of the guy.
I'm still mulling this over. 

 • • • • • • 


From The Mary Sue:  Star Trek Just Might Come Back To Television. Please, please, please make this happen. 


 • • • • • • 



 • • • • • • 



And finally...

I've added a new tab at the top of my blog. Murder, She Trekked is a compliation of all the information from my Murder She Wrote Marries Star Trek And Has Its Babies series.  Look upon it and behold my obsessive nature and be amazed/scared. 

2 comments:

  1. I am on the fence about the Outlander series because of Ronald Moore's attachment. I loved the first two seasons of Battlestar Galactica in the way I hadn't loved a TV show in years but the end of that series was so incredibly bad it ruined the entire thing for me. I will never go back and watch it and when I recommend it to people I do so with the caveat that they should just stop watching after season three and save themselves the aggravation. I may wait and see if he screws up this series before diving in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This makes sense. I missed the boat on the start of BSG, and tried getting into it in year 4, but couldn't find the magic.

      Delete